• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Elaborations on Two English Hymns (update)

Share/Bookmark

Elaborations on Two English Hymns (update)

My 'Two Short Pieces' have been combined into one, and I've renamed it! There is still scope for further development but I have a busy few weeks ahead so please forgive me for putting this forward at this stage for feedback.

The first 2 mins are much as before, with a little less reverb. Around 3 mins, I introduce a haunting English melody which has found itself into the English Hymnal. This was going to be the second of the Two Short Pieces - but I think they are better brought together in one piece. Vaughan Williams dabbled with this second tune too - although what you hear here is my own arrangement and orchestration.

I intend to conclude this later by overlapping the two melodies for a rousing finish, but for now....

Please see http://www.myspace.com/grahamkeitch

Regards, Graham

Re: Elaborations on Two English Hymns (update)

Hello, Graham

I remember you were dashing out to mow lawns when you posted the earlier version of this--I take it the grass is much longer now!--Because you've obviously been living in your studio for some time.

This is Quite a development! Tying in the two hymns with the other old English melody gives this a wonderful new dimension.

I feel it definitely worked to pull back the reverb some, don't you? It still sounds large and spacious, with less distancing and blurring than last time.

The baroque trumpets are really nicely done--The whole arrangement has become so rich and satisfying. The shorter versions previously had those qualities too, but now there's more of it and it's also more crafted than ever--that is so evident.

I love this music a great deal. When I saw your listing just now I was excited to hear what you've been up to. I certainly wasn't disappointed.

Thank you.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thanks Randy.

"I remember you were dashing out to mow lawns when you posted the earlier version of this--I take it the grass is much longer now"

....the mower is seriously ill, possibly beyond repair!! Hence I had a good excuse yesterday to do some music instead!! LOL.

"I feel it definitely worked to pull back the reverb some, don't you?"

..... indeed, thanks for the advice on this Randy.

"The baroque trumpets are really nicely done"

.....Thanks. I've just noticed some slight popping sounds / crackle during the trills. There might be a problem here I need to fix, or possibly it's my 'phones.

"The whole arrangement has become so rich and satisfying. love this music a great deal"

....thanks Randy, I appreciate you listening in and the kind feedback.

Regards, Graham

I like this very much. I don't know the themes but they sound good, and your arrangement is superb. I don't believe I heard this with the more reverb that you were talking about, but it sounds just right now, a very full sound. What did you use for reverb?
    jay

Graham,

If they ever do another "Songs of Praise" then this would certainly be a first rate candidate for the theme tune/s.
    One day I'll be able to find the space you have here in this recording if I just back of the gain a little. This is a master class for me in not getting over excited with nearing 0dB. If I heard this early Sunday evening now it wouldn't be out of place on the BBC.

My Best

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01
    I like this very much. What did you use for reverb?
    jay
    Thanks Jay,

This has all been done with Finale 2007 (no updates) and full GPO. Reverb is Ambience:

Grating: amount 0, attack 10ms, release 32ms
    Decay: time 2954ms, diffusion 100%, hold off
    Shape: size 62%, predelay 20ms, width 95%, CPU 100%, var 0

EQ treble: 13997Hz 1.0dB
    EQ bass: 44Hz 1.0dB
    Damping treble: 8225Hz 19%
    Damping bass: 25Hz 30%

Now, if anyone can shed any light on this - please do because it means little to me!! Pure experimentation. LOL

Graham

How delightful, Old Chap! What a nice sound! Sonorous! Excellent blend of all of the instruments. Enjoyable!

Thanks for posting this beautiful work.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf
    If they ever do another "Songs of Praise" then this would certainly be a first rate candidate for the theme tune/s.
    One day I'll be able to find the space you have here in this recording...
    Thanks Ray,

Just a thought - I've scored this for double string orchestra and various solo instruments. That means I've got 10 string sections. That has enabled me to combine both lush and short/sus patches and more importantly, create a wider spread by adjusting the panning. I'm sure this has contributed to the sense of space.

From a compositional perspective, there's a fair bit of doubling up but in places I've managed to create 20 different parts - and I can still hear other harmonies to layer over the top - but that would mean adding more instruments to the ensemble.

Regards, Graham

My gosh, Graham, but this is beautiful, my friend; for me,
    a very deeply moving experience; and I much look forward
    to the finished version. Exactly why, I don't know that I
    could say... but then, that's probably irrelevant anyway.

That was my first reaction.

My second reaction is:

Bravo!

Again, too, what struck me in this is that I would know
    this was Keitch almost immediately... a distinctive voice.
    May your lawn grow three feet high, but go finish
    this... lol!

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

That is some great work. The listening was ruined a little by 'mp3 warble' but that could be my connection.

As for the composition though, it is fantastic. Dives and Lazarus is one of my favourite hymn tunes (or tunes full stop for that matter) and you really brought it to life, with scrunchy suspensions galore and really lush orchestration.

I agree with everything that's been said about a sense of space - whether it was just knob-twiddling or not you seem to have got the best out of Ambience. I could really picture myself in an actual space.

Thanks for sharing Graham, and please post again when it's done.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast