• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: JABB Session

Talking JABB Session

I had today now finally the time to mix my small JABB session. I love the sound of this marvelous JABB piano, bass and the other instruments.

Oh, this is my first posting into the Listening Room.

The instruments I have used are JABB piano, bass and trombone. The drummer went to the nightclub, so there is only a foot played hihat.

Any comments/suggestions are always welcome.

Hope you enjoy listening to it and have much fun!

Best Regards, Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Re: JABB Session

Nice! I like the composition! Production, reverb sounds really good!

Since you asked for "comments/suggestions"- I will suggest some minor changes that I would do with the piece. The composition and audio production is superb, I hear nothing to improve in this regard. What I get picky about at this final stage of a piece, is making sure it all sounds live, and has a true 'human' feel. I've learned in my productions that classical and jazz always sound better recorded live with no qunatization afterwards. Quantization in classical and jazz takes out the live/human 'feel'.

I may be wrong but the bass sounds too perfect, as if quantized. Was it? The piano sounds nice and loose except the left hand chops have very little dynamic range. So what I would do is 1. add wider dynamics to the left hand piano chops, and 2. loosen up the acoustic bass timing a little bit. That's it.

The piano solo and trombone solo sound fine- they sound live/human- nice solo melodies- especially with a touch of syncopation!

If I'm wrong and the bass was not quantized and recorded live (with no measure copying!), then wow- you play with computer perfection!

That's my approach now in classical and jazz- to keep the live/human feel, I never quantize, except maybe a few measures only if absolutely needed.

Again, very nice piece!

If interested - here's my latest piece- Canon in E, where every part is recorded live, with no quantizing (except the drum track):

"Canon in E"

Hi Gunther, great piece The solos sound fantastic.
    I would agree about the bass sounding very straight, however I don't think it is necessarily a quantizing issue. I think it's the fact that throughout the song it is playing straight on every beat. Try adding the occasional swinging quaver just to loosen it up every now and then. You are getting a good Trombone sound but I would try and make it a little bit more realistic by adding some of the JABB breath samples at a low volume.
    Those damn drummers!!! The hi hat did begin to grate on me after a while. Adding a touch of ride when the trombone enters could be all that's needed though.

Great composition, and loads of promise for some great JABB works to come.

You can listen to my latest piece here -

I like this gunther. It is very layed back. I think the bass was just a little to loud. I also miss the rest of the drum set. Good job.

What can I say that hasn't been said. I know! another play on the "Autumn Leaves". Piano work great! but you'll have to expand and explore on the rest. smile! yes! Book John Clayton to play bass for you. smile!

Well Done Gunther

Yeovil, Somerset

Hi Gunther,

Great piece you've made there!
    I really enjoyed the piano solo and bass part through out the piece.
    I'm not sure about the trombone solo though, it sounds a bit mechanical!

Great jazz piece! Dan.

Hallo Gunther !
    Ausgezeichnet ! I love it, especially the piano - I want to jam along with it and add a little tinkling of a high top line, but I shall keep my hands to myself. I agree with some of the others about the trombone - maybe a bit more legato would do the trick ?
    Definitely Smile !
    All the best -

Good, driving session. Liked the piano changes. The ending was a little abrupt, but overall a well-constructed piece.

Enjoyable, Gunther.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Well I know nothing about jazz, so I'm not going to try and offer any advice at all. But I did really enjoy listening to it! Thank you Gunther for sharing, and please do lots more of it.

Hello Gunther!

Welcome aboard -- and you sure make a fine entrance.

The production on this is excellent. And for my tastes, the
    open, clean, uncluttered arranging on this is right on the
    mark. I've listened through this several times, and I don't
    think I'd change a note.

I'd agree with comments concerning the bass, that it is
    a little too loud in the mix. In places, maybe I would bring
    the piano up a little, too; and (strictly my preference),
    perhaps voice the piano slightly less brightly.

Four aces, Gunny. Bring us some more!

All my best,

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast