• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Fortunate

Share/Bookmark

The Fortunate

Hi, all

I’ve been around this forum now for about five months.
    I always thought of myself as being someone who could produce a pretty good cover version of someone else’s composition or arrangement, this skill being improved with the use of the Garritan Sample Libraries. But more than that, I wish to offer thanks and much appreciation to all participants in the forum for helping me achieve some compositions that I could and would not have imagined doing only a few short months ago. I’m not saying I’m now God’s gift to music but, I honestly cannot believe in relative terms what I now can do compared to the last 40 years.
    This is a wonderful place full of knowing people.

Thank you All

Ray

Re: The Fortunate

Spot on Ray. I was put off music from an academic perspective at a very early age. I was petrified by the piano - it just overwhelmed me at the time. But GPO and Finale are enabling me to do things with music I would never have dreamt possible.

Yep, my thanks too - to all that help to make this possible.

G

Ray, Graham, my complete agreement.

I owe this forum many thanks, myself -- for patient listening ears,
    encouraging friends, and so much help along the way.

For myself, I really doubt many of the pieces I've written in the
    last few years would ever have been born, were it not for the
    unfailing support, reassurance, and aid of so many fine people,
    here.

And Gary, particularly... for making it all happen -- giving us these
    fantastic tools, and building a home for us here!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I can say that without this Forum and the kind of souls that share it I would feel completely alone on this planet as far as composing is concerned. The wealt of knowledge to be is far greater than any university could provide. This is the only Forum I visit several times a day and certainly the only one I post to.
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Thumbs up Re: The Fortunate

Yes, I agree. But furthermore, I would like to say that without the help of this forum I would be in Antarctica fishing for sea creatures never heard of before until the advent of digital deep submersibles with long winded weirdos chiseling waffles out of the ice by the wheels of me Hummer. Well, be what it may ... one question enters my mind ... wait, what mind? Oh, yeah ... great stuff etlux. I still listen to your music on Sunday mornings on my new surround system in me new family room. Ah yes ... and there we have a growing album of most of the Garritan family music posted on the listeners page. Why, this place has what I consider some of the best compositional talents of any music forum. I was only saying yesterday to my buddy as we woiked on our studio. I said, Friend I said! He answers, "Yes my friend?" And I continued, Do you realize the Garritan forum is filled with nothing but New Music from new unheard of musicians from all corners of this world of all walks of life? "No, I didn't realize that Mike. What does this have to do with hanging this drywall?" Oh, nothing ...

GPO Ya got me sold!
    Styxx

Mike, I don't know about that "unheard of musicians" crack.

I like to think of myself as "completely unknown, worldwide".

It's a minor point, I know... but getting that "worldwide" thing in
    there gives it more dignity, makes it sound like some sort of an
    achievement... rofl!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch
    Spot on Ray. I was put off music from an academic perspective at a very early age. I was petrified by the piano - it just overwhelmed me at the time. But GPO and Finale are enabling me to do things with music I would never have dreamt possible.

Yep, my thanks too - to all that help to make this possible.

G
    Graham,

Your reply here just confirms my thoughts perfectly. I would swear you had a strong formal link in music, studying it from an early age by the pieces you’ve produced and posted here.

Another thing I’ve noticed recently is, my guitar playing has improved. I’m not practising more playing guitar because I spend much more time using sampled technology here. I can only think that the efforts and thought I now put in to counterpoint, etc. has made me think more when playing guitar about with the other instruments. I am certainly concentrating more and therefore producing more expression with it. Imagine at 56 years old finally trying instead of simply going through the motions. Better late than never.

Ray

I’m glad I “discovered” both GPO and this forum. Both have done so much for my music. I’ve played and wrote for many years (but also took many years off) and this brought back the passion for the music.

Also, because of the great example of so many of the members, in the 3 years or so I have been here I have been taking a huge amount of time to study music – history, harmony, counterpoint, form, ear training, trumpet lessons, piano lessons, general composition, etc. I used to think I knew something about music - now I realize the journey has just begun.

And for the most part, I owe this self-discovery to the original discovery - GPO and this forum.
    Trent P. McDonald

Oh yes, I agree!

I am here since january and have found here some new friends, great people!

I like the way where all people here talk together and I have learnd very much here in this short time.

The Listening Room is the first website where I look and hear every day now. For me it is, as I am in a new family.

All I have to say is: Thanks for that and thanks Gary, particularly for making it all happen, giving us these fantastic tools and building a great saved home for us here!

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

I'd just like to echo the sentiments of everyone who's already posted in this thread. You are a truly amazing bunch. Some people of my acquaintance - NOT on this forum - look down their noses at those who foolishly try to write music without a tame orchestra or jazz band to hand. Before I found you lot, I (like Samantha) felt completely alone as far as composing was concerned. Now, I feel supported, encouraged, and filled with great enthusiasm for previously unknown types of music thanks to what I've heard and read here. I haven't had any formal music training since I stopped learning the piano, which means I've been winging it for rather too long, but I've learned more from you in a few weeks than I have by myself in years.

My thanks to all of you, and to Gary for starting things off and providing me with my virtual musicians. Because of this forum I, too, can aspire to being completely unknown worldwide (© EtLux). In fact I may have achieved this already, but I suppose I'll never know.

Go Back to forum