• Register
  • Help

Topic: Percussion Demo

Percussion Demo

This is a piece for percussion. It uses EWQLXP samples, a bit of RA, and a little Stormdrum.

Akudu Percussion Variations

There's theme and variation, some call and response, and a groove here and there.

Give it a listen and let me know your take on it.

Dallas, Texas

Re: Percussion Demo

Hi Marko

Excellent control of the instruments. The blending and shading are just right to my ear. I don't know how you use the midi controls to achieve the sound, but I would like to learn how to mix that well one day.

A very patient and nice work.

tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

Very very nice. Good interplay between the "musicians."

My only constructive criticism: there's very little "low end" . . . even the lower-tuned drums seem to sound mostly in the midrange. Together with the high-freq stuff like the shakers and daf/tambourine/???, the piece seems a little skewed (at least to my ears, listening through my studio monitors) to the treble-y side...

I think that some "big drum" hits/fills, and maybe even some little tympani/bassdrum rolls ending on each "4" would round out this (already excellent) piece very nicely.

— alanb

I can't comment on the mix as I'm listening on my laptop speakers in a hotel room far, far away, but musically it's top notch!

Excellent work.

Thanks Tony.

Thanks alanb. I used 2 mic positions and perhaps all 3 mic position would have made a better balance. I'll have to see if I can load all the samples.

I refrained from putting timpani (as well as snares) in this because I would become obsessed with using them and tweaking them, but the timpani may improve the bottom end.

Thanks Nick.

Thanks all for checking this out.

Sounds REALLY great! Good job!

It sounds that you used a drumpad or something like this?

Great job!
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Thanks gregjazz.

Thanks germancomponist. I did not use a drum pad, but I may have treated my midi keyboard as one. I'll probably have to replace some of the keys if I continue doing this sort of thing.

Thanks for listening.

Go Back to forum