• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Finished Fugue for Clarinet - update

Share/Bookmark

Cool Finished Fugue for Clarinet - update

For everyone who gave kind words regarding my two little clarinet pieces, earlier this week, I thought I'd post the finished fugue. Well, I say finished; really I feel like it needs a more substantial section with some rhythmic augmentation of the theme, something a bit less frenetic. But I couldn't get it to stop running away, so, for the moment (because I'm back at school tomorrow) this is it.

http://minorcrisis.net/files/Ngoma4.mp3

Re: Finished Fugue for Clarinet - update

Great, Pingu--I'm really glad you came back with the newest version of what you're doing here with your Clarinet and Piano piece.

I kept trying to think earlier of something helpful to post when I was reading your posts expressing your frustration over both how you work and the results you were getting. But I couldn't settle on what it was exactly I wanted to say in the way of encouragement.

Now we have this piece, which is even more satisfying than the earlier post, and I have the impression you overcame much of the frustration you were expressing earlier. It's a crackling good thing to hear, this new version of the piece.

And I like your idea for the next thing you'd like to do with this. A section with rhythmic augmentation could be a great method for adding variety and depth. I know school beckons you back, but it'll be a fun project for you, to develop this even more as time permits.

Thanks much!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Wow! Hat's off to you, Pingu.

This may be short, but it's one devilishy great ride.

Loved it!

The ending, though... maybe a little light? Were it
    me, I think maybe I'd whap a good stiff bass note
    down the bottom of the piano or some such -- one
    last shock to the ear... rofl.

You're doing some fine work with this and its
    companion piece, Pingu. I hope we'll hear more
    from you along this same avenue.

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi Pingu,

Do you have a (PDF) score I can view? I would like to comment on a few features I specifically like and think are very effective...
    Rendalli

Quote Originally Posted by rendalli
    Hi Pingu,

Do you have a (PDF) score I can view? I would like to comment on a few features I specifically like and think are very effective...
    Just working on it.

OK, here are the scores for anyone interested. (The download links are down at the bottom of the page)

http://www.savefile.com/projects/808497726

Feel free to offer any advice on any aspect of both the composition and the type setting of the score. I regard myself as a complete beginner, so I'm not going to take offence.

Hi Pingu, There's nothing like a good fugue to end a multi-movement piece - this does the job perfectly. The piano and clarinet is a great choice too to explore this particular form. The overall effect is very pleasing - and I like the ending!

Regards, Graham

PS thanks for posting the pdf too.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch
    Hi Pingu, There's nothing like a good fugue to end a multi-movement piece - this does the job perfectly.
    Thanks Graham. I was actually thinking the other way round. Originally I conceived these pieces just as a prelude and fugue, but, by the time I was part way into the fugue I had decided I would go with a multi-movement work, and that the 'prelude' would actually be the finale, since it's the more driven of the two.

Consequently the fugue took a couple of new turns. Firstly, because it is now a movement of something else I decided I could take liberties with the traditional expectations of a fugue, include some thicker homophonic textures, have several variants of the subject etc. Secondly, because I envisioned it being a 2nd movement I gave it that slightly perverse 'question' as an end.

I'm not sure I'm perverse enough to end a whole work in that way, but if you think it works then I may rethink again as it evolves.

Thanks ever so much for listening.

p.s. Do you ever run into Phil Hull? He was a lecturer of mine at Rolle college who I believe lived in the Dartmoor area, and was probably quite prominent in musical circles.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Wow! Hat's off to you, Pingu.

This may be short, but it's one devilishy great ride.

Loved it!

The ending, though... maybe a little light? Were it
    me, I think maybe I'd whap a good stiff bass note
    down the bottom of the piano or some such -- one
    last shock to the ear... rofl.

You're doing some fine work with this and its
    companion piece, Pingu. I hope we'll hear more
    from you along this same avenue.

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    David,
    Thanks for taking the time to listen again - Your feedback was very helpful the first and second time around, and has helped me get the piece to where it is. I'll think about that end. I was in a bit of a 'Ligeti' mood by the time I got to the end. He quite often writes pieces with some kind of process, which then breaks down - something about a fascination with malfunctioning machinery. Although my piece isn't process based I thought it would be fun to let the motific material just completely disintegrate (I think I may rework it so that it happens over a longer period, with more false starts of little fragments). The end is kind of a cheeky reassertion of the theme - just enough to say, 'Here I am. Can't catch me!' I did think it needed something else, but it's starting to grow on me as it is.

Anyway, thanks again for all your advice.

Best wishes

David

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    He [Ligeti] quite often writes pieces with some kind of process, which then breaks down - something about a fascination with malfunctioning machinery. Although my piece isn't process based I thought it would be fun to let the motific material just completely disintegrate (I think I may rework it so that it happens over a longer period, with more false starts of little fragments). The end is kind of a cheeky reassertion of the theme - just enough to say, 'Here I am. Can't catch me!' I did think it needed something else, but it's starting to grow on me as it is.

Anyway, thanks again for all your advice.

Best wishes

David
    Your comment about Ligeti and his broken machinery made
    me laugh, Pingu -- it's true; the endings of some of his pieces
    give the impression of a wrench dropped in an extruder.

I like your idea of pacing out the end slightly more. To me,
    giving it just a little more time to wind down would be just
    the right touch on it.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast