• Register
  • Help

Topic: Percussion Composition resource?

Percussion Composition resource?

I'm very interested in learning more about the theaory and practice of composing for percussion. And books to recommend that specifically adddress composition techniques more the notation specifics (although I want to know more about that too)?

Re: Percussion Composition resource?

There used to be a book by reginald Smith-brindle which was highly regarded. Don't know if it's still available.

I just checked on Amazon. "Contemporary Percussion" by Reginald Smith Brindle is out of print. Used copies are selling for over $140, so I guess it's become a collector's item.

If you don't want to spend that much, and I wouldn't blame you, try Scoring for Percussion by H. Owen Reed and Joel T. Leach. There's one unfavorable comment on the Amazon website, but I think it's grossly unfair.
    Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Thank you for your recommendations. Do you think the second book- scoring for percussion- offers much insight in how to think and score for percussion? Techniques to consider, approaches? I noticed the 10th chapter includes that, but it seems brief. More thoughts?

There is also "How to Write for Percussion" by Samuel Z Solomon

Go Back to forum