• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Westgate Celtic Harp

Share/Bookmark

Westgate Celtic Harp

What?

Yes.

We have an opportunity to record some harp samples very soon which is something we hadn't planned on but the chance came along so we've decided to take it. Here's a quick sample put together from some early test recordings. The first 15 seconds or so are multisamples of the low octave and upper two octaves at one dynamic level. After that is a recording of the harpist doing some random glisses just to hear the sound of the instrument. Everything is completely dry and unprocessed. Let me know your thoughts on the sound and what we should include. We've only got about a week or so though. We are planning on including this 36 string Celtic and a 47 string Concert grand in the same library.

Demo
    Westgate Studios
    Sound Libraries for Gigastudio and Kontakt

Re: Westgate Celtic Harp

Sounds really great!

Are you planning on having release samples?

Judging from other libraries it seems to work this way...

If you continue to hold down the note you get the full decay.
    If you release early, the note will decay for a set amount of time, 4 seconds in this case. That gives you some natural sound and helps to prevent polyphony from building up.
    Westgate Studios

Well if you're going to do it just make it good - my suggestions:

1) GPO is very functional because of the pedal .mid files that switch the positions. That would be VERY nice and probably encourage me to get your harp.

2) The sound quality of EWQL is good but like a lot of the library it's not the most playable sample in the collection. Also with Harp a close and far perspective would really be good to have - but certainly NOT just a far perspective. Very annoying.

3) If you do glisses make sure they're complete - make sure to get all the appropriate pedal positions because man that can be really annoying trying to go through all the glisses and never being able to land with the right one.

I actually always liked using the Advanced orchestra harp but sometimes I couldn't find the right gliss.

4) Do a good collection of 1 octave glisses as well.

5) A gliss that goes up and down really fast for a long time would be GREAT. ie a big finish. It's hard to do with GPO and I've not found a good library that does a complete phrase sample gliss that works.

6) A good really fast ENDing gliss. one that you could tag on to a long gliss (one that might loop) and then do a quik gliss up - THAT'S needed.

I probably have some more ideas - I'll just have to think about it. Frankly I think a definitive harp collection still has yet to be done so Kudos to you for giving it a crack Send me a PM if you want to talk more about stuff.

J-

Is doing the pedal switching idea more desirable than simply mapping it out chromatically? It's easy enough to program either way but it seems like most people would just want to play without worrying about what key the harp is in. Or maybe I'm missing the real purpose of what that is used for.
    Westgate Studios

Quote Originally Posted by timzydee
    It's easy enough to program either way but it seems like most people would just want to play without worrying about what key the harp is in.
    Personally I'd prefer to have it mapped chromatically rather than having to worry about changing pedal positions or whatnot. I don't even think celtic harps have pedals, I thought that was only a concert harp sort of thing.

Lots and lots of glisses, please! This is the thing that is really missing from many of the libraries and impossible to fake well because of how the strings resonate together.

Long and short over the whole range, different octaves, two hand swirly ones and ones that, as mentioned earlier, go up and down (and down and up!).

And not just major, minor, diminished and whole tone. Minor (dominant) sevenths (in major keys so they start in the right place), all modes (if possible) but particularly lydian and dorian. Harmonic and melodic minors.

And great key-mapping so that the glisses are all available in one or two patches without having to load lots of extra tracks into the template and then in their individual patches if memory is tight.

I have lots of good concert harp samples but it's the glisses I'd be willing to pay for most.

Also a good celtic harp with several velocity layers would be very welcome as well. Probably the glisses for this wouldn't need to be as deep.

Giga 3 as well as Kontakt format.

What about very low velocities and tremolandos with release samples?
    Would be delicious.
    May be you should have a look at John Williams and some classic composer to know what's missing in other libraries.
    rothermusic.de

You guys do realize that he said Celtic Harp, right? So, it's a bit of a different beast than a concert harp.

That said...

I would very much welcome a nice Celtic Harp sample set. I think others have covered the basic requests... chromatic, release samples, glisses.

Don't forget harmonics.

Quote Originally Posted by Seq
    You guys do realize that he said Celtic Harp, right? So, it's a bit of a different beast than a concert harp.

That said...

I would very much welcome a nice Celtic Harp sample set. I think others have covered the basic requests... chromatic, release samples, glisses.

Don't forget harmonics.
    You do realize that he said "We are planning on including this 36 string Celtic and a 47 string Concert grand in the same library," right?

Go Back to forum