• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kontakt2 Standalone -- Multiple Instances on PC?

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt2 Standalone -- Multiple Instances on PC?

I ask you -- is the PC an inferior platform for running Kontakt 2?

For years I worked with Kontakt2 in standalone mode on a Mac G5 (OSX vs.10.4.9 Dual 2.5 GHz PowerPC, 8 GB DDR SDRAM). Since I've been using the multiple microphone positions of EWQLSO Platinum, I commonly run out of available tracks in one instance of Kontakt standalone. But my G5 always let me launch a second instance of Kontakt2 in standalone, giving me 64 more channels. Everything worked perfectly.

I recently purchased two new PC computers (Dual Core, WinXP Pro, ServicePack2, Intel PentiumDs, 3.20 GHz & 3.21 GHz, 3.5 GB of RAM). I allowed the sales rep to convince me that I'd get more bang for my buck if I bought PCs instead of Macs. "PCs can do anything that Macs can do nowadays!" I was told. Apparently, not so.

The PCs won't run two instances of Kontakt2 in standalone. When I try, I get horrible static. Changing my latency settings makes no difference.

Have I wasted my money buying these PCs? Or is there a PC wizard on this board who knows how to get a PC to run two instances of Kontakt2 standalone simultaneously?

Come on, all you PC users -- prove to me that a PC can do anything a Mac can do. Please. I'm begging you.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Kontakt2 Standalone -- Multiple Instances on PC?

Quote Originally Posted by Buanann
    I ask you -- is the PC an inferior platform for running Kontakt 2?

For years I worked with Kontakt2 in standalone mode on a Mac G5 (OSX vs.10.4.9 Dual 2.5 GHz PowerPC, 8 GB DDR SDRAM). Since I've been using the multiple microphone positions of EWQLSO Platinum, I commonly run out of available tracks in one instance of Kontakt standalone. But my G5 always let me launch a second instance of Kontakt2 in standalone, giving me 64 more channels. Everything worked perfectly.

I recently purchased two new PC computers (Dual Core, WinXP Pro, ServicePack2, Intel PentiumDs, 3.20 GHz & 3.21 GHz, 3.5 GB of RAM). I allowed the sales rep to convince me that I'd get more bang for my buck if I bought PCs instead of Macs. "PCs can do anything that Macs can do nowadays!" I was told. Apparently, not so.

The PCs won't run two instances of Kontakt2 in standalone. When I try, I get horrible static. Changing my latency settings makes no difference.

Have I wasted my money buying these PCs? Or is there a PC wizard on this board who knows how to get a PC to run two instances of Kontakt2 standalone simultaneously?

Come on, all you PC users -- prove to me that a PC can do anything a Mac can do. Please. I'm begging you.

Thanks in advance for your help.

don't know about stand alone. (i was in the same 'mac' situation)

but look at this for the pc

http://www.brainspawn.com/products/forte/

You CAN do it with the PC. I'm doing it. You have to use a different set of outputs in your audio card. If you share the outputs, you could very well get the issues you're having. You might need to toggle your outputs in K2, both instances, to just make sure they both are going to behave.

I'm using RME cards.

Good Luck!

Mr. A.
    Nuendo 3/ Cubase 4.5 on XP sp2 QuadCore 2.66 Ghz VisionDaw Built DAW RME HDSP 96/52 into ProTools HD3 (digi192x6) on MacPro 3 Ghz... Farm PCs x (6) VisionDaw Machines PC Dual 2.66 Ghz w- Kontakt 3.5 w/ UAD Cards Midi Over Lan

Could you elaborate on "toggle the outputs"?
    I have been getting crackling when getting close the 64 channels in one instance on k2 (standalone on it's own pc). Is there something I could do to eliminate the problem? Is it related to outputs? (Only using one set).

The "toggle the outputs" is what I need to do when i open multiple instances of K2 standalone, and I'm not able to hear the 2nd instance. It's my experience that you have to use discrete outputs for each instance, and sometimes, you need to click on them and change them, then put them back to where they were (hence-toggle), to get them to work.

With only one instance, I'm not sure if your problem is this, or just a buffer setting or too much DFD streaming with the settings you have in options.

Mr. A.
    Nuendo 3/ Cubase 4.5 on XP sp2 QuadCore 2.66 Ghz VisionDaw Built DAW RME HDSP 96/52 into ProTools HD3 (digi192x6) on MacPro 3 Ghz... Farm PCs x (6) VisionDaw Machines PC Dual 2.66 Ghz w- Kontakt 3.5 w/ UAD Cards Midi Over Lan

Go Back to forum