• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "Summit"

Share/Bookmark

"Summit"

Y'all,

Here is my "Summit". I have completely GPOized (Brit. - GPOised) it. All instruments are GPO.

Regards,

Larry

Edit: Did a remix after reading the comments below. I believe that the overall quality is now better. (?)
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "Summit"

Fantastic, Larry--It's great to hear you letting loose with the full orchestra. The meticulous craftsmanship of your compositions lends itself so well to this big sound.

I Must pass on some technical observations---Perhaps it's how I'm playing this back, but I hear quite a bit of distortion, the "in the red" crackling artifact. I haven't done anything differently from what I usually do to listen, so I'm afraid it's in your recording. It Is a full throated piece, but I'm pretty sure you've let things peak out in the recording, and pretty much all the way through.

The other thing is an uneven use of reverb so that the sound doesn't make any sense to my ears. I mean, for instance, when the Flute enters--it sounds completely dry and like it's as close to my face as it can get--inches--while the strings are back there in a Hall performance space.

The same thing happens with the piano--It sounds impossibly dry, like it's in another dimension from the rest of the orchestra.

I think you intended these instruments, Piano and Flute, to be soloists who are spotlighted in the recording--you accomplished that with the proportional boost in their volumes, but even if you've added some reverb to them, it doesn't sound like it.---Could you take a listen with this feedback in mind and see if it makes sense to you?

Other than being thrown for a loop as to what was going on acoustically, I really enjoyed the piece with its wonderful drive and energy so elegantly arranged.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

There is very little reverb on anything.

I have just switched to an Emu 1212M interface and it is very difficult to learn. You have to jump through hoops just to be able to do a stereo mixdown through their propietary PatchMix software mixer and evidently I haven't learned to do it yet.

None of the signals went "into the red" while I was mixing down. (?)

I'm trying.

Thanks,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    It appears Larry "Mr. Prolific" Alexander is back with a vengance! Very AMBITIOUS and well done throughout. "Summit" has a kind of Beethoven-esque intensity to it!

I agree with Randy that the piano is as dry as Western Texas. A little reverb to match the ambience of the strings would help.

Keep 'em coming, Mr. A.!

Ern
    Ern, Ern...you have a way with words.

When I feel better physically I will remix this and try to do a better job.

Thanks for listening.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

That new interface seems to be giving you a great
    deal of difficulty -- sorry to see that, I know what
    a nuisance figuring these things out is. Perhaps a post
    over in General to see if anyone else uses that, and
    perhaps could be of help?

As Randy and Ern mention, there's a fine, rich string
    sound in this (some of the best I've heard from you);
    but the piano seems to be redlining; and both flute
    and piano seem to have zero 'verbiated on ya...

Keep pluggin', you'll get it...

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi Larry,

I had a "listen" and read the reviews. I agreed completely, some phrases and instruments are too dry. And now and then some distortion comes in. But it is nice listening at the tuesday morning. I word or warning: don't get GPOised yourself!!! I can't imagine seeing Larry as a sample library.

Raymond -wishing that every summit in this world sounded like this.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    That new interface seems to be giving you a great
    deal of difficulty -- sorry to see that, I know what
    a nuisance figuring these things out is. Perhaps a post
    over in General to see if anyone else uses that, and
    perhaps could be of help?

As Randy and Ern mention, there's a fine, rich string
    sound in this (some of the best I've heard from you);
    but the piano seems to be redlining; and both flute
    and piano seem to have zero 'verbiated on ya...

Keep pluggin', you'll get it...

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thanks. I'll figger it out some day.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    Hi Larry,

I had a "listen" and read the reviews. I agreed completely, some phrases and instruments are too dry. And now and then some distortion comes in. But it is nice listening at the tuesday morning. I word or warning: don't get GPOised yourself!!! I can't imagine seeing Larry as a sample library.

Raymond -wishing that every summit in this world sounded like this.
    Thanks, Ray. I appreciate your listening.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Terrific work, Larry

Nice to hear some full orchestrated pieces.. And more so when combined with a great piano!

I couldn't notice any clipping on the piano, other than the occasional note with perhaps a high attack value.

Really enjoyed the strong ending...!

Great work!

~Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jsp2
    Terrific work, Larry

Nice to hear some full orchestrated pieces.. And more so when combined with a great piano!

I couldn't notice any clipping on the piano, other than the occasional note with perhaps a high attack value.

Really enjoyed the strong ending...!

Great work!

~Jeff
    I did a remix and re-do after the comments from various folks. The piano "high attack values" are intentional. The JABB piano responds like a real piano when the keys are struck hard. That is not "clipping".

Thank you muchly, Mr. Jeff, for your support of old people.

Regards,

Ol' Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast