• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Knight Quest

Share/Bookmark

Knight Quest

Here is an orchestral work that is "program music" in style. I gave you the title now you make up your own story!

I hope you enjoy this half as muxh as I did writing and preparing it!

[Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Knight Quest

Hi, Rich!

Now this is Exciting-! It certainly lives up to its title. I heard the gallantry, the dangers ahead, the determination--Steadily cantering horse with the Cello/Bass Pizz early on.

You said you had great fun doing this piece and it sounds like it--impossible to hide true enthusiasm. And I enjoyed it immensely--Mission accomplished. Recording is clean and effective too, by the way.

Thank you!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi Rich,

I agree with Randy, one hears that you produced it with fun and joy.

My best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Rich, a real pleasure on this one... very well done!
    There's an intriguing modernity of style in the writing
    that caught my ear immediately; yet while unerringly
    maintaining a distincly Midieval feel.

I also like the way this cuts away amidships to the
    duet and then gradually rebuilds the texture to a
    little richer venue, passes through a percussive bridge
    and then rolls forward into a recapitualtion of the
    initial ideas. Perfectly handled... and it makes the
    piece, gives it wonderful contrast and balance.

The mix on this, the space -- also sounded quite,
    quite good to my ears... it's plain that you put some
    real care into positioning instrumentation and keeping
    clarity in the forefront of your concerns with reverb.

Definitely one of the best I've heard from you, my
    friend... great job on it!

With applause,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Randy said:
    Now this is Exciting-! It certainly lives up to its title. I heard the gallantry, the dangers ahead, the determination--Steadily cantering horse with the Cello/Bass Pizz early on.
    Thanks so much for the comments. Yes, you nailed the ideas of the piece with those few adjectives. Of course the piece is open to many interpretations but the general atmosphere and mood is in those eloguent adjectives you chose. I'm glad you enjoyed the piece.

Gunther, thanks for your comments. The piece is not deep, nor esoteric, but it does present itself well.

Rich

Ern, Heroic and cinematic...thanks so much for that description. I did try to make the piece fit a mental image I had and it is so nice to have others pick up on it as well. I did fret over the balance and positioning of instruments and did change some of the default positions in the Garritan Kontakt Player 2.2.2.

As for the distortion in the Timpani, I'm afraid that may be caused by the site I am putting my music on. I have a free account and all my mp3s get crunched down to 128 kbps. That in itself causes some artifacts and dithering problems. It is not so bad when I listen to my music on my wifes computer (built in sound card on MoBo). The lesser quality sound production on her computer masks the problems in that sites crunching algorhythm. You really should hear it in the original .wav file through my Onyx firewire sound card. And, of course a good amp and studio speakers.

And about
    the overall mix is a tad too 'hot.'
    well, that is my problem. I try to put it up to -.3 Db in my final mix. It's an old habit (probably bad from making sure old demo tapes [remember demo tapes?] were hot, hot, hot so they could be heard on the worst of car speaker systems.

Again, thanks for you comments. I do appreciate you taking the time to listen to this piece.

Rich

David, (etLux)

I am so pleased you again have taken the time to not only listen to my music, but to also analyze it. You are a fine friend indeed. This whole piece was based on a little melody that I played with a month ago. When I decided to orchestrate it, I decided to let the melody dictate the harmonic structure and quite frankly I was totally indifferent to the standard I-IV-V-I harmonic thinking. I know you can find progression in the piece but it did not dictate the direction of the music. (Does that make sense?) Consequently, the modernity of a medieval style of the piece. Not one of the chords that should be dominant in the minor key had a raised third! So the piece was actually written in e minor or C major depending on the particular moment of the piece. I made no attempt to clarify in what key the piece actually was.

I thought (as you also state) that the violin and oboe solos that became a duet was an important turning point in the music. The parts intertwine and the oboe soars to a point just to give the line to the flute and clarinet which returns it to the percussive bridge. I could listen to that section over and over again. The vision and the emotion is exactly what I wanted it to be. Being a clarinets myself I can just picture the feelings of passing that particular passage around between the violin, oboe, flute and clarinet. Ahhh.... musical heaven

Thanks again, David. Your comments are always so good and always welcomed.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR
    This whole piece was based on a little melody that I played with a month ago. When I decided to orchestrate it, I decided to let the melody dictate the harmonic structure and quite frankly I was totally indifferent to the standard I-IV-V-I harmonic thinking. I know you can find progression in the piece but it did not dictate the direction of the music. (Does that make sense?)
    Perfectly! In my book, line trumps harmony...

Now go make us some more of the same kind of sense... lol!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thoroughly enjoyed the listen, Richard. Like other listeners, I can see the Knight on his horse, guarding the virtues that are important to him. This composition tells a rich story (no pun intended, Rich); your crafted orchestration and skillful use of dynamics help bring the story alive. Bravo!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Ah, my kind of music!!

Might I suggest doubling those cymbal crashes near the beginning (at about 0:19 and 0:29, etc) with a timpani or bass drum strike, to give it an extra oomph. (Just my personal taste of course!) I love the snare, and your brass work is the kind I often strive for! I love when the violin and woodwind solos come in and play around with each other. The ending is also very effective when we hear the return of the intro's percussion. Great work!!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast