• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "H.M.S. Pinafore"--Act TWO montage

Share/Bookmark

"H.M.S. Pinafore"--Act TWO montage

Besides working on the mixes for my original stage musical, my other big music project in 2006 was to do a complete instrumental recording of "H.M.S Pinafore" by Gilbert and Sullivan.

Previously I've posted the Overture from this light opera, the show's first number "We Shall Sail The Ocean Blue", as well as a montage of more music from Act One.

Since a number of people here in The Listening Room enjoyed my entirely GPO generated versions of the score, I've put together one more montage just for this Forum.

This is a montage of the numbers in Act Two. Snatches of all the songs fade in and out over the course of 3 1/2 minutes:

http://www.box.net/shared/static/mfulgs42j6.mp3

I worked from the full conductor's score as printed in the definitive version from Dover Publications. I played all the parts using Sonar Home Studio with GPO as the sole instrument library. Rarely did I depart from the justifiably renowned orchestrations as written by the show's composer Sir Arthur Sullivan.

You'll hear one of those rare moments at the very end of this montage--I added a piece of, well, let's say it's a bit of percussion. You won't be able to miss it.

So, to avoid any confusion as there has been the other times I've posted my work from "Pinafore"---I did not compose or arrange this. The show had its premiere in 1878 in London. The main difference between what was heard then and what I'm presenting here is that I've taken the lead set by modern companies which reinterpret the Gilbert and Sullivan operas, using faster tempos than were traditionally used.

And this MP3 is not of one continuous piece--it is a montage of moments from all of the Act Two songs.

Previously I did full instrumental recordings of "The Mikado" and "The Pirates of Penzance." Those recordings are used in schools which are in need of an orchestra for their productions, and the hope is that my "virtual orchestra" for this opera will also be used by schools and theatres which can't muster adequate orchestras.

Rule Brittania, Brittania rules the waves!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Re: "H.M.S. Pinafore"--Act TWO montage

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Besides working on the mixes for my original stage musical,...
    As if you don't have enough to do! My gosh! This is quite an undertaking as well. I really enjoyed your scene renditions. You're getting great mixes with GPO. Very realistic. Love the cannon shot at the end!

Thanks for sharing this, Randy!

~Paula
    Cheers!
    Paula

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

Randy,
    Beautiful renditions and high quality mixings...

Thanks,

Long

Yes, a great recording!

This is an enormous undertaking.

All GPO? I don't recall a cannon sample being included with the bundle.

Still, You've made GPO shine with this depiction.

Bravo!

~Jeff

Thank you so much, everyone who has visited and posted a reply! Gilbert and Sullivan isn't the most "high brow" music in the world, but it sure can be fun stuff, so I'm glad you three have enjoyed this little sampling.

Paula--Great to see you here. I'm glad you find the mixes realistic. I find that GPO makes it fairly easy to achieve that, if one takes time on the process. Yes, it was quite a project. It took me a year. It's a "wrap" now, though. To get this properly publicized so theatres and schools in need of an orchestra can discover my services--that's the next big step!

And thank you, Long!--I'm pleased you also found the mixes of good quality. As I was saying above to Paula, if one takes care to combat robotic artifacts that might creep in, then GPO can be very organic sounding.

Jeff--Thank you for your kind words also, but didn't you know there's a Garritan Cannon? It's in the beta test of a new library called LBS - "Loud Bombastic Sounds for Film Composer Wannabes!"

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Such great arrangments, and you realized them superbly. Does it take you very long to do this type of thing. It seems like it would be a major challenge. Anyway great work, and I liked the montage approach.
    -jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01
    Such great arrangments, and you realized them superbly. Does it take you very long to do this type of thing. It seems like it would be a major challenge. Anyway great work, and I liked the montage approach.
    -jay
    So glad you stopped by, Jay--Thanks for the great reply.

Yes it Does indeed take a long time. I spent a full year on it. Not non-stop, but fairly steadily. Hundreds of hours--I'd be afraid to really count them up.

And I think you do understand that I recorded tracks of the full score, and then put together this brief montage of Act Two only for posting here--figuring that interest wouldn't be quite deep enough for me to post a lot of individual songs. But earlier I posted the entire Overture, the show's first chorus song, and then a montage of Act One.

Thanks again!
    Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Randy, I know whenever I open a recording of yours, I'm
    in for a pleasure of an experience. And no exception
    this time, of course. Gosh, what an undertaking this is
    (though I think I've said that more than once before).

You should have warned me to duck just before the end,
    though... rofl. Had this torqued up on the JBL's, and
    some of my hair is now embedded permanently in the
    ceiling.

Great job on this as always, Randy.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Randy -

As with your other Sullivan posting, I'm delighted! You do a remarkable job of rendering, and I'm going to test Ted's ears on this one if he stops by. (You may recall my comments on an earlier posting.)

Frankly, I wouldn't hesitate to add the entire piece to my "regular listening" stack. Your work captures most of the essentials of interpretation, and the renderings are realistic enough to "pass" for all but the most critical analytic listening. Once again, you reinforce the scope and value of really good libraries.

Bravo!

Joe

Ern! Hats off to you in return. Thanks for dropping by and for the thumbs up. Be on the look out, the next thing I'll be posting is original material--I'm looking forward to having you hear that also.

David! "...Had this torqued up on the JBL's, and
    some of my hair is now embedded permanently in the
    ceiling..."

whoops---um, HEY LOOk out, David--Loud Sound up ahead!---oh, too late. Well, hopefully your speakers survived the cannon, and other folks may be prepared now for the montage's explosive ending!

And hello again, Joe! "...I'm going to test Ted's ears on this one if he stops by. (You may recall my comments on an earlier posting)..."

I certainly DO recall that--How he assumed you were playing a live orchestral recording of G&S and preferred the liveliness he was hearing as compared to the traditional recordings. Love it!

You guys, thank you all for your kind words. Deeply appreciated. Though my biggest joy with music is when I'm working on my own compositions, doing some Gilbert and Sullivan realizations is also a rewarding diversion--I will probably do another of their Operas in the future--"Iolanthe" "Ruddigore" or "Yeomen of the Gaurd"--those could be great fun.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast