• Register
  • Help

Topic: "The pianist" End of Ballad 1 - Chopin -

Share/Bookmark

Talking "The pianist" End of Ballad 1 - Chopin -

I made this midi file using the sampled Steinway Piano and I also used different sound effects to simulate a concert hall environment (noises, applauses, clicks, reverb)

The end of the Ballad 1 by Chopin, featured in the film: "The pianist" by Roman Polanski, starring Adrien Brody.

I'd wish to read any comments.

Could this mp3 fool anyone? is it e-nuff real?

thanks

This is the link: http://www.supload.com/listen?s=SSfvMCHFmPl

Re: "The pianist" End of Ballad 1 - Chopin -

Quote Originally Posted by marinmarais
    I made this midi file using the sampled Steinway Piano and I also used different sound effects to simulate a concert hall environment (noises, applauses, clicks, reverb)

The end of the Ballad 1 by Chopin, featured in the film: "The pianist" by Roman Polanski, starring Adrien Brody.

I'd wish to read any comments.

Could this mp3 fool anyone? is it e-nuff real?

thanks

This is the link: http://www.supload.com/listen?s=SSfvMCHFmPl
    A cool idea!

If you want to sound as a live concert, then add some human noises, here a
    cough and there a whispering...., not loud but from the beginning till the end.

Good work!

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hi, Marin--Excellent performance, and your simulation of a live concert was effective--I think the reverb could be less and still have the effect, and I like Gunther's idea to add at least a few human sounds like whispering, coughing. A distant cough added at the Start would get the idea across really well--maybe one well placed faint whisper someplace in the middle.

The piano playing was really great though. Were you just having fun with the live concert idea for this recording, or did you need to put this together for a project which demanded the sound effects?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

This sounds great - the concert hall sounds make it all the more real. Did you consider a wrong note here or there? Seriously, in a live performance of something this difficult will have a slip or two. Also, the applause could be louder - applause by its percussive nature always sounds very loud, even if there are only a few people in the hall.

Wonderful job!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Hello again--Ron's reply just came in by auto-mail, and it made me want to say:

--Perceptions and reactions of our audience can vary so widely! We can never arrive at a place where we can predict and control how anyone will react to our work.

Case in point, a minor one, but still interesting--Ron said, "...the applause could be louder..."

!!--The applause is something I didn't comment on earlier. I originally wrote, "...the applause is a bit loud in proportion to the music..." but then cut it out, deciding that thist kind of mixing decision is so arbitary really. Several different choices for mix levels would work.

But isn't that interesting? Ron wants it louder, I'd prefer it softer, and nobody's right!--it's just a matter of our mysterious preferences.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

You got a very good impression of a live performance from the point of the reproduction of the piano tone here. In this respect the only thing I would change is to use a bit less reverberation - I feel this would make it even more concvincing.
    Interpretation-wise it sounds fine; however the onrush of double octaves at the very end sounds a bit tame - ideally these should be more agitated and faster towards the end -"like an eagle swooping" as Cortot said.
    Nevertheless a very worthwhile effort. you have achieved something really worthwhile here.

This sounds very real to me. Miroslav philharmonic software actually has ways of adding coughs, whispers etc. to the track. A great idea and a very enjoyable performance.
    -Jay

Adding in the performance noises and audience sounds
    does lend an element of realism, marinmarais... it's a
    good idea, and perhaps more of us should be experimenting
    with it.

Working more with the expressive elements of the piano
    performance, particularly tempi and dynamics, would also
    help to "fool anyone", as you say. And you know, if you
    think about it, that is what we all try to do! To make
    recordings so close to the sound of real that you cannot
    tell the difference.

Not that I am so good at that, myself, yet... lol! I doubt
    I would fool anyone but my grandmother, and she's been
    dead for years.

Too, the reverb, maybe a little less, as others have said.

I hope you will keep working in this area. Anything that
    brings a greater sense of realism is of interest to all.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

b-u-m-p

--for an unusual and very interesting post that more people should have the chance to hear and read about.

Randy B.
    (rbowser0

Go Back to forum