• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast

Topic: Official KP2 release announcement for GPO and JABB

Share/Bookmark

Official KP2 release announcement for GPO and JABB

Well, as Nickie was the first to note, the day has finally arrived. The Official Kontakt Player 2 versions of both GPO and JABB are now posted for download at Native Instruments. Here's a link to the updates:

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=updates_us&ftu=9df8bee66c5493e&flash= 9

(5-23-07) I'm adding this link which could be helpful: (link removed for revision)

Many changes have been introduced in the new Kontakt Player 2 for both libraries. Among them:
    1. KP2 is IntelMac (or MacIntel, if you prefer) compatible.
    2. Instead of separate players for each library, Kontakt Player 2 acts as a host for all compatible KP2 libraries. Both GPO and JABB will appear within the same player on the left side of the player interface. The Strad and Gofriller will also be there if they are installed. One obvious advantage to this approach is the ability to load a mixture of instruments from any of the available KP2 libraries.
    3. The player is no longer limited to 8 instruments. The user can load at least 16 instruments. With the right system (one that recognizes ports) up to 64 instruments can be loaded at a time.
    4. Instruments and Multis are now loaded from dropdown menus at the bottom of each library interface.
    5. Once an instrument is loaded it appears on the right side of the interface. The old player had a fixed number of knobs for controllers. The new player reflects differences between instruments. Some have few knobs, some have many.
    6. All instruments now have a pitchbend range control. Instruments load with a default setting that can be modified by the user as needed. Any changes can also be saved.
    7. All mod wheel controlled instruments now load at a modest mod wheel level as a default.
    8. Any knob defaults can be modified by the user and re-saved.
    9. Users can now build and save their own Multis.
    10. Expressive instruments that use the mod wheel to control volume/timbre also respond to breath control (cc2) and MIDI expression (cc11.) They are always active so make sure you use only one of them at a time to avoid data conflicts.
    11. Sundry bug fixes, additional instruments, and improvements have been incorporated into each library.
    IMPORTANT: If you own both GPO and JABB then you will need to update each of them separately, even though they run in the same Kontakt Player 2. Remember, it is not just the player that has changed; all programming in each library has been updated as well. This latest version supersedes the unofficial posting a few weeks ago of GPO as well. If you did download and install the unofficial version I would recommend uninstalling it first before installing the official one. That should avoid conflicts with the new folder structure.

The major issues that have so long delayed the release should now be cleared up (we hope!) There are some remaining minor issues that we intend to address in the coming weeks but this version should finally get everyone up and running. One issue that has just been brought to our attention involves unexpected changes in the way Kontakt 2 handles dynamic EQ in velocity=volume instruments – mainly percussion. We'll try to fix this soon but we certainly didn't want to delay things further because of it and, also, users can apply compensatory external EQ if they wish to counter this issue in specific instruments.

Please refer to the .pdf manual in the documentation folder (part of the installation) for more information on each library. There are many changes so please READ THE MANUALS. We hope you find this a worthwhile update and have few difficulties getting it up and running. Have fun.

Tom

Re: Official KP2 release announcement for GPO and JABB

I've just been working on a little Jazz piece in K2 JABB.

Working great sounding good.

Ray

does this update replace the old Kplayer?

does updating the library (GPO in my case) replace the older version I have?

In other words, what I want to know is, if I install this update and it doesn't work right, will I be screwed and unable to use the older version which worked perfectly?

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    If you mean Kontakt Player 1: No. The new player is an addition, not necessarily a replacement. But you can ditch the old player, if you like.
    EDIT: Beware that the JABB KP2 installer messes up the old JABB KP1 library. If the new GPO KP2.2.2 installer does the same, you will have to restore the GPO KP1 library before you can use it.
    In other words, what I want to know is, if I install this update and it doesn't work right, will I be screwed and unable to use the older version which worked perfectly?
    No. But it may take a little bit of extra work to restore the GPO KP1 library, if the GPO KP2 installer has been changed.

Wink Re: Official KP2 release announcement for GPO and JABB

Great news, Tom!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    1. All instruments now have a pitchbend range control. Instruments load with a default setting that can be modified by the user as needed. Any changes can also be saved.
    Ha, after today I have finished a very cool jummin with JABB, using the trombone for a solo instrument, I got this pretty news...

Smile, I think I will download and edit some notes....

Tom, I hope now the disscusion to NI is done and we can soon receive the marching band....

Best regards to you, Gary and all the people from your team!

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

does updating the library (GPO in my case) replace the older version I have?

The old player remains on your system unless you take steps to uninstall it. The old Instrument files are placed in a backup folder during the KP2 installation. To revert you would just uninstall the new player, rename the backup folder "Instruments," and the old version should work again. Actually, you could leave the new player installed and toggle back and forth between the old and new versions, if you like, by renaming Instrument folders. Only one or the other would work at a time though. Likewise for Multis. It's a matter of having the right Instrument files in the correct location because old and new instrument files are not compatible with one another. Also, as long as you don't replace the old instruments in your existing song files, they should play as they always have because the instrument programming is saved with the song file. So, older songs are not broken by the installation of the new player so long as you don't uninstall the old player.

Tom

P.S. Dan at NI has brought an important point to my attention. It concerns uninstalls and possible consequences. I'll quote him:

"One comment I have is that you should warn people who do not wish to use KP1 anymore, that uninstalling KP1 after the KP2 update will remove the new KP2 instruments. This is because the old unistaller for KP1 has not been updated to remove the backup instruments. It only knows to remove the Instruments and Multis folders. It is a catch 22 because if they uninstall KP1 before installing KP2 Update, the old content directory will not be found (due to deleted reg key) and they will have to choose the old location manually to link up to the nks files."

So, be careful to protect the Instrument and Multis folders (by renaming or making backup copies) if you uninstall KP1 after the installation of KP2.

i don't know how it did it, but it did it!!! the new update stopped my kontakt 2 player from crashing every time i loaded multiple gofrillers
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Results so far after installing the upgrade...

-No sound in standalone version
    -KP window increased to 4x original size, now impossible to use in FL Studio
    -Odd clipping-type artefacts when attempting to do a natural note release with mod wheel
    -All instruments pan automatically to the center when loaded - no more default panning assignments
    -Volume sliders reset themselves when I press play on the sequencer
    -KP1 no longer works
    -FL Studio crashes instead of exiting

Yeah I think I'll be downgrading this one as soon as I figure out how.

-Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Just downloaded and running the new full GPO (K2) and JABB (K2) in Finale
    2007c.r2. (Not using HP, manual MIDI programming).
    Working great! (So far.)

For those MacIntel users who have posted inquiries about performance:
    I have a large orchestral piece running very well on my MacIntel quad---over 80 instruments and plenty of simultaneous notes and only using 35% CPU[!] for tutti with trills. Finally can use this beast of a Mac. Nice!

Quick question about organization of files/folders...
    The install (actually the buggy one in March) created a separate folder under
    Applications called "GPO K2 Library".
    This is in addition to my original "Garritan Personal Orchestra", "Garritan Jazz and Big Band" and "Kontakt Player 2" folders.

I do not see an equivalent for the JABB K2 in a separate folder, I gather it is under the orginal JABB folder?

Should I move "GPO K2 Library" under "Garritan Personal Orchestra"?

Please advise as to what the default install should look like for both the new GPO K2 and JABB K2.

Thanks.

Matt
    Apple Mac User

1) Mac Pro two dualcore Intel 3GHz Xeon
    with 4GB RAM. OS X 10.4.11
    6 x Samsung Syncmaster214T LCD's

2) Power Mac G5 dual 1.8Ghz
    with 2.5GB RAM, OS X 10.3.9

--Finale 2008b.r1 user with
    Garritan full GPO and JABB
    --ProTools LE 7.3

Has anybody tried this with Human Playback in Finale 2007c?

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum