• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Another GPO vs. Real Orchestra "Estudio sobre murmullos"

Share/Bookmark

Another GPO vs. Real Orchestra "Estudio sobre murmullos"

Hi, friends.
    This is a work for a little ensemble, all soloist instruments. The work is called "Estudio sobre Murmullos" (Study of whisperings) or something like that.

The first version is the GPO version. Some noises are sampled of instructional videos, and the piano is from my Roland Xp-30, the steinway is great but with 512 of RAM, my pc dies!!
    The second version is the real ensemble. The ensemble is professional, but with an classical, romantic training, not this ligetiesque music.

I hope you enjoy the piece!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=585182

Re: Another GPO vs. Real Orchestra "Estudio sobre murmullos"

Hello, Julian

Thanks for the exciting GPO/Live orchestra comparison!

Both versions are electric and vivid, with the GPO holding its ground Very well alongside the "real" ensemble. (I put "real" in quotes because I feel that a musician working with sound libraries on a computer is also producing a "real" performance).

Your comment about the orchestra being classically trained sounds like you mean you're not happy with their performance? On listening, I felt the musicians attacked this with great vigor--perhaps not knowing what I could be missing, I didn't feel critical of them at all.

You explained you're using a Roland piano, and it sounds great in the recording--but you said you're not using GPO's piano because:

"...the steinway is great but with 512 of RAM, my pc dies..."

Are you using DAW software or Notation? If the former, it's really not much of a compromise to simply record your piano track to audio, freeing up computer system resources, and then working with the audio track instead of the MIDI track--That's the only way I can use the Steinway simultaneously with all the GPO instruments I wish, and that's with twice the RAM you have.

Thanks for this--After listening, I'm MUch more awake this morning!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thanks for the reply.
    Your comment about the orchestra being classically trained sounds like you mean you're not happy with their performance? On listening, I felt the musicians attacked this with great vigor--perhaps not knowing what I could be missing, I didn't feel critical of them at all.
    They were more confortable playing beethoven and mozart over and over again. This ensemble was build to play for the students of Orchestral Conducting carrer here in argentina. In my subject Composition III we compose some works for that ensemble, but the music we compose is completely contemporary, no tonal works allowed!!. So the players were very pesimistic about this kind of music, particulary in my work with all those noises. But they finally got it, aside for the great conducting students!!

And for the steinway thing...yeah, i work a LOT with sibelius, and then I use sonar for fine tuning. Of course i could use the steinway, rendering the piano to audio, but to be completely honest...I FORGOT!!! I have so much work sampling those freakin noises, that piano was sounding good.

Bye, sorry if i my english is plain bad, i´m from argentina.

A most interesting composition, Julian! One which
    I listened to with much enjoyment and satisfaction.
    I rather cut my teeth on fellows like György Ligeti,
    Krzysztof Penderecki, etc., so my ears are friendly
    to it and appreciative of it.

And a remarkable comparison. Surely much has to
    do with your skill; but I felt the GPO did well... as
    did the perhaps a little stodgy real musicians!

With applause,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks david. The weird thing is that by the time i compose that work, i listen one or two times the incredible "Atmosphere" by Ligeti, none of "lux aeterna"...
    I consider myself a thief!!! when later i listen a lot to those pieces and Penderecki too. hehe.

And for the real musicians, there´s something about a computer playing a lot of instruments against real players, and that´s randomness. Particulary in the attack time. They NEVER play simultaneously, NEVER. So to fix this issue, a friend of mine developed a plugin for sibelius, that enters random values to the Live Playback Start Time, or something like that. And i must say that the difference is huge. Much more real.

Quote Originally Posted by julianrojo
    Thanks david. The weird thing is that by the time i compose that work, i listen one or two times the incredible "Atmosphere" by Ligeti, none of "lux aeterna"...
    I consider myself a thief!!! when later i listen a lot to those pieces and Penderecki too. hehe.

And for the real musicians, there´s something about a computer playing a lot of instruments against real players, and that´s randomness. Particulary in the attack time. They NEVER play simultaneously, NEVER. So to fix this issue, a friend of mine developed a plugin for sibelius, that enters random values to the Live Playback Start Time, or something like that. And i must say that the difference is huge. Much more real.
    If you are a thief, Julian, at least you take from only the best... lol!

In fairness, the style of Ligeti is often so distinctive that to use any
    of its elements marks the piece; no matter the originality of the
    work, itself.

As you say, too, the real musicians, they never quite play exactly
    together -- and it is one of the human elements that we often miss
    in synthetic renditions without really knowing what it is. An introduction
    of some randomness to defeat that exactitude adds a subtle but
    welcome improvement. Often in GPO, I will use two different voicings
    of the same instrument together, with their Var. settings set differently;
    which seems to help with this, too.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hello again, Julian

This thread has not only a fantastic comparison of "GPO vs. Real Orchestr" on it, but also some very arresting music to hear, and a really interesting discussion.

More people should have a chance to catch all of this--hence my new reply which bumps this back to the top.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Last edited by rbowser-; 06-10-2007 at 11:53 AM. Reason: typos

Ernstinen: Yeah the oboe beginning it reminds me to Varese´s "tuning up"! hehe. However, the choice of A as a center pitch for the first part, is because is a pitch that all instruments can play at the same register.
    And for the breath sounds, I sample some sounds for instructional videos.

a minute difference!!!

Well, thanks Randy. Maybe i´ll change the thread name. What do you think?

Hi, Julian

Though we can edit our text inside a post, we can't seem to change the name of a thread, even though it looks like we can when go into Edit mode.

The title you have is fine. I'm sure more people will be taking a listen.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast