• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New-gen non-keys controllers

Share/Bookmark

New-gen non-keys controllers

Hi All,

I'm interested to hear peoples opinions/experiences on using any of these controllers:
    1. presonus faderport
    2. frontier design alphatrack
    3. novation remote zero sl
    4. cme bitstream 3x

(the last is a bit older but apparently its been updated, and has a built in ribbon controller).
    Im not really interested in piano keys, and theres already plenty of info here on that subject.

Besides automation, I'm interested in getting away from mouse and computer keyboard to hands-on hardware, especially transport functions. Sturdiness of build and ease of use are concerns too.

Larger mixer controllers like the mackie universal are, unfortunately, out of budget for me.

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts and experiences!

Re: New-gen non-keys controllers

Hey - i went through checking out some of these recently and settled on the novation remote. The Automap works really great with cubase and my soft synths. Im currently checking it out with Kontackt. The sliders arent really great, but good enough for my intents.

The CME is heavier build, better faders too. I think the programming, according to a friend, is a bit of a pain, and doesnt really compare with Automap.

Not really familiar with the others, sorry. Hope this helps,

Best,
    Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by doppler
    The CME is heavier build, better faders too. I think the programming, according to a friend, is a bit of a pain, and doesnt really compare with Automap.

Best,
    Dave.
    Hi Dave - thanks for your comment. that for me is the main issue between these two.
    cheers!

I forgot to mention - the novation zero comes with software that includes Bass Station and Ableton Live ( reduced version). All in all I'm very happy with it!
    My 2 cents,
    Dave.

I have a Behringer BCF 2000 but actually I more frequently use a graphical tablet with tablet2midi. I have drawn several line faders there and the main field I use is an xy control feed. After using this for months I feel right home there and try to include pen pressure as a third parameter currently.

I am short before buying a Wacom Intuos (more expensive graphic board). The only thing I am waiting for is the affirmation that it is possible to use two differnt pens on it at the same time. I would use two x-y-fields there and have

x-Axis
    y-Axis
    Pressure
    Tilt

on each pen, that means intuitive aquisition of 8 parameters at the same time.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Interesting solution Hannes - I imagine you could get a great deal of accuracy and detail that way. I am seeing a friend tomorrow who is an animator. I'll ask him about the Wacom pens - I think he uses/used one of those.

Edit: Ok, well my friends not sure about the two pens - he hasnt seen that done before, but thinks it might be do-able. As they're a bit pricey, you could probably just get the store to demo it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gesticulator01
    Interesting solution Hannes - I imagine you could get a great deal of accuracy and detail that way. I am seeing a friend tomorrow who is an animator. I'll ask him about the Wacom pens - I think he uses/used one of those.
    What I love about it is that I can process two parameters as a 2D-gesture instead of moving two faders.

My standard setup has the volume assigned to the x-Axis (left is ppp and right is fff) and the timbre to the y-Axis (low is dull and high is sharp). I use that while recording every instrument I cannot recommend it enough. With time I began to think in 2D "areas" - I have sort of a 2D map and know which place sounds how.

But the big plus is that it sounds very natural for strings and winds to draw circles or ellipses in the volume-timbre plane, not just straight lines. It makes a whole world of difference to unlink the timbre from the volume in a way that is easy to remember. Now to do that with with linear faders is possible but with a graphical tablet it is intuitive.

I am a little short in time but can post an example of it later. Meanwhile It is much better than everything that I have posted so far in this forum.

Hannes, that's a brilliant idea! Absolutely marvellous! I also have a BCF2000, but it never became as useful as I wanted it to be. the graphics tablet idea sounds like it might fit my needs very well.

You might remember me from earlier last year. Can I contact you again during the next months?
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Hi Pete,

of course I remember. I have an inbox folder with your name :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    I am short before buying a Wacom Intuos (more expensive graphic board). The only thing I am waiting for is the affirmation that it is possible to use two differnt pens on it at the same time.
    Wacom mailed that after some early models that supported drawing with two pens at the same time they left that idea because not enough applications could use it.

Hmm ...

What about a graphical tablet for the right hand and a joystick for the left? Does anybody know about a program that transfers joystick data to midi?

EDIT http://www.hermannseib.com/english/midijoy.htm

Hannes

Go Back to forum