• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Romance for Violin and Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Romance for Violin and Orchestra

I think I finished the piece.

I dedicated this piece to my beloved wife at the occasion of our 40th wedding anniversary, next Sunday.

Romance for Violin and [small] Orchestra in G

This is my first Stradivari piece. You've already heard a small piece of it under "Unfinished pieces" . It was hard to evolve the theme into a reasonable build composition, with some dramatic elements. I also changed the instrumentation at some points.. Nevertheless it gave me much pleasure to do it.

I didn't use the Strad in a "performance mode" with a keyboard. All controls are drawn in Sonar using CC#11 for expression, CC#1 for vibrato and AfterTouch for vibrato speed. For the legato notes, I had to adjust the velocities, to my surprise. All settings work together, once you've expression and vibrato, it demands also amending the velocities and vice versa.

I spent a whole week [on a small section] to get the grasp of it.
    Still the vibrato isn't quite what I wanted, but sometimes you have to learn what you really want... so this piece is subject for experimentation.

Instrumentation:

2 Flutes
    2 English horns
    2 Clarinets in Bb
    Solo violin = Stradivari with convolution 2.02
    Violins I, II
    Violas
    Celli
    Contrabasses

Sonar tracks and samples from GPO:
    • for every woodwind I used short duration samples for fast notes and long duration samples for longer phrases;
    • the strings [except the solo] are divided into:
      1. long notes sample duration 100% (KS sample)
      2. shorter notes sample duration 50%
      3. tremolo like notes sample duration 20%
    Reverbs

The Solo violin has a special reverb PsP Piano Verb, to get the resonance of the other strings at a very modest level. You know, when a string is bowed all other strings also have some resonance, thus sound. I used this very carefully and listened and listened "thousand" times to get it right.

For the final mix the stereo buses [not wave files] are:
      • bus woodwinds for all woodwind tracks
      • bus solo for just the Strad
      • bus strings for all other strings
    All those buses have PerfectSpace as reverb tool with IR NoiseVault 350seat OMNIRow1Center, of course with different reverbs (dB's) and delays.

Equalizing (before entering PerfectSpace)

All output stereo - combined - tracks have their own equalizer to get rid of some harsh sound or to eliminate (very slightly) the weak points (frequency wise) of the Stradivari. I aimed at maintaining the character of this wonderful instrument, don't worry.

End of all blabla.......

My powerful new system gave me the opportunity to have more than three convolution reverbs at the same time, so there was no need for exporting things to wave files first. The only wave file that was made is the final rendering. So after all this technical blabla... listen to the piece and give your comments.

Raymond
    [and now I don't want to listen to Violin Concertos for at least two weeks!!!]

Re: Romance for Violin and Orchestra

Well, I can't post any comment on the technical BlaBla, but musically this is a very beautiful work. I enjoyed the listen (since one of my minor instruments is the violin). Nice lyrical and creative writing. I would post one musical suggestion: I felt the vibrato was a bit mechanical and at times to fast. I would like to hear some parts with non vibrato to emphasize the lyrical line. It's all a matter of taste. It certainly does not take away from the beauty of this work,

By the way, congrats on 40 years - You were married on my birthday. The best to you and your wife!
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Happy 40th wedding anniversary, Raymond.
    it's great! Thanks for the (Romance) music and the detail of composition and mixing skill.

Long

Hi, Raymond

Did your wife swoon?

What a wonderful tribute to her and your 40 year marriage.

It's such a sweet composition, so nicely arranged. The backing orchestra sounds wonderful.

The Strad--Well the way the vibrato has been applied to it has all but sunk your recording. --That's so harsh, pardon me, but it needs immediate help, a trip to the studio ER!

OK--I understand you did the controller data editing in Sonar's Piano View. I do much fixing and adding there also, after doing initial recordings with a keyboard's wheels, so I'm familiar with the procedure.

I'm guessing you may have brought the cc1 data up to the full extent, to 127?--And the After Touch speed control--did you ever vary it?

The results you have, Ray, make this sound like it's coming through some artificial sounding Tremelo effect made for guitars. Really you must step back and take an objective listen--the whole performance warbles like a UFO.

Back to trying to help---The cc1 data generally can be started half way into a sustained note, not before. And then not just suddenly inserted at some high value--it ALways needs to be swept in so the data looks like a hill in the Controller Pane of the Piano Roll View. Going much beyond 1/3 the way up gets to be pretty intense vibrato--1/2 way for dramatic moments, once in a very rare while you'll want to go up to 3/4.

And the speed of the Vibrato also needs to vary in an organic way and not left at one speed.

I am fairly positive that your problems, to recap are:

--Starting vibrato far too early in a note
    --Pushing cc1 way too high
    --Not drawing rolling hills with the data, but inserting values and leaving them
    --not varying the After Touch vibrato speed enough.

I Really loved your love song. It's extremely touching in its emotions. I want it to sound better, for the sake of your wonderful tribute to your marriage. I want it to sound GReat, and it can.

Please --I hope this is helpful.--I know you can fix it.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I thank you all. As I stated I really have to look again at the vibrato.

Randy, I have hills for CC1 and Aftertouch. But as you said they start too soon and as you commented a bit too early. I received a message in another thread about vibrato from Hannes_F and he explained the use of it to me. But that is always the problem, how to translate those words into controller settings.......

Now it is too late at night to correct all this, tomorrow is another day. But I will, I will.... I have to.

Raymond

I have to agree with Randy about the vibrato - I can hear that this is a lovely piece, but the vibrato makes it a challenge to listen. When you address that, I will gladly return for another listen.

Your wife is very lucky (feel free to quote me) to receive such a gift.

Happy anniversary! I hope it was a glorious day for you both!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

I withdrew that composition!! It is no longer there. You were all right about the vibrato. Sometimes one doesn't know what you really hear. Somebody offered help to get it the way it should.

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer
    By the way, congrats on 40 years - You were married on my birthday. The best to you and your wife!
    In case I forget, congratulations to yourself next Sunday.

I suggest that this Listening Room should be renamed into Learning Room

Raymond

Raymond,

Please re-post the work once you get it straightened out - it really did seem worth hearing!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

This is a very romantic piece. You must really love your wife to write something like this. I liked it very much. I am sure that you will iron out the technical issues already addressed on this thread. Thanks for posting.
    -jay

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Raymond,

Please re-post the work once you get it straightened out - it really did seem worth hearing!
    I'll do, next week [considering the bumpin' question, Tom H. raised and I fully agree with him]

Raymond

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast