• Register
  • Help

Topic: Lost the plot

Share/Bookmark

Wink Lost the plot

Dear wonderful folk at Northern Sounds. I have to admit, I have finally lost the plot. I have been trying for months to do my homework in keeping up with changing technology, updates, fixes, moving on to MacIntel and God knows what else.... and I look behind me and see on my hard drive a bedraggled cluster of outdated (or possibly not?) files, folders and unidentified objects all labelled Garritan and Kontakt ... Look inside them and there are numerous copies of libraries labelled with identical names, and various backups (KP1 Library backup) etc etc. A veritable jungle, which takes bravery and a large knife to hack through.

Please please please would some kind person please post a definitive list of WHAT GOES WHERE? What do we no longer need? What duplicate libraries can we safely jettison?

If my system were sailing smoothly I wouldn't worry about it. It's not, and I do. I cannot work like this.

I appreciate all the time and effort from Garritan and others which has been spent in porting this stuff to Kontakt, etc, but for those users who just don't have the time to work through countless pages of forum threads, some clear and authoritative (not anecdotal) list of instructions is most definitely needed. And would be most warmly received by this rapidly greying musician before he resigns to sitting on the floor twanging an African thumb piano (actually .....

I have: MacPro 2x2.6 Ghz, 5 gig RAM: Kontakt 2.2.1: Kontakt Player 2: GPO: JABB: STRADIVARI. All miracles of science. When they work.
    Sibelius, ProTools, Cubase
    on Mac OSX
    + plenty of coffee

Re: Lost the plot

You know, that's a great idea, Henry... if somebody could
    come up with (and maintain) a list of...

WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Henry,

Hold on. Help is on the way. We're trying to get things settled with the updates and awaiting key elements. We will have instructions once we can sort through all of this. Right now we are recommending people stay with the existing GPO unless they are MacIntel users (which they must upgrade). Hang in there. We're working on it.

Gary Garritan

PS: In the meantime, Swami etLux holds the key to this enigma and soon his revelations will make all clear.

Ah, Gary, thanks for your reassuring words which flow like a cool breeze over the tormented machinations of my MacIntel CPUs. I look forward to further developments.

"PS: In the meantime, Swami etLux holds the key to this enigma and soon his revelations will make all clear. "

Well, yeah, the Swami has a different perspective, doesn't he? I mean he sees everything upside down, or downside up.

best wishes
    Henry
    on Mac OSX
    + plenty of coffee

A related question I personally had (and sorry if this has already been addressed) is: can I use the full version of Kontakt 2 to run GPO, Garritan Strad, Garritan JABB, and Garritan Gofriller Cello (as opposed to using the recently updated Kontakt 2 Player?) I'm using a Powermac G5...
    Best!
    - robjohn

I also look forward to the definitive answer to "what goes where" I have every release of gpo-jabb-gofriller-k1.nn and k2.nn on my pc and want to clean things up.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by fred Holmes
    I also look forward to the definitive answer to "what goes where" I have every release of gpo-jabb-gofriller-k1.nn and k2.nn on my pc and want to clean things up.

Fred
    Apparently, there will soon be a new release, the Gpo-Jabb-Rottweiler, which will simply go around chewing up any outdated bits of software left on your hard drive.

;-)
    on Mac OSX
    + plenty of coffee

Quote Originally Posted by henrymorris
    Apparently, there will soon be a new release, the Gpo-Jabb-Rottweiler, which will simply go around chewing up any outdated bits of software left on your hard drive.

;-)
    No, that would be the new "Garritan PacMan" game, which graphically chews through the filesystems of Wintel or Mactel boxes eliminating buggy code from far away vendors that doesn't work quite right.

The old UNIX way to do this (before any of this modern Mac OS X or Linux stuff came along) was:
    $cd /
    $rm -r *
    Oops- that deletes everything. Then you start all over.

;-)

Go Back to forum