• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New Feature Film Score By Jonny Lost

New Feature Film Score By Jonny Lost

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to share my new film score that I just finished last night with all of my friends here on the forum. It is for an independent feature named "Eclipse". The plan is that this film will make an appearance at all of the major film festivals throughout the country. I'll let you guys know more when I do.

It was written exclusivly with Sibelius 4 and the GPO crossgrade. Once it was written, I exported the audio and imported it into Sonar Home Studio 6XL for mastering and reverb effects.

http://www.jonathoncox.com/eclipse.mp3 (This is a fairly good size file. I think around 65 megs. Grab some coffee! ) -approx 28 minutes and 11 seconds long (EDIT: It's actually only 28 MB's)

(EDIT: I also just uploaded and wma file here's the address: www.jonathoncox.com/Eclipse.wma I hope some more people can check this one out. It's only 13 MB's.)

The score itself is written in a quasi-minimalistic style. The entire thing is based on a half step motive, taken and shaped in many different ways. I always compose my scores with an endgame in mind. I write in film order so that the melodies, emotions and textures evolve natuarlly.

I know I haven't posted anything in the listening room for a while, but I hope you like it.

Please let me know what you think. Comments and critiques are most certaintly welcome.

(Edit #2 - For a limited time, I have posted my new film on my website. It is called Eclipse. It is an independednt feature that delves into the mysteries of a religious cult. (Note: It is complete fiction)

I have placed it on my website as a streaming Flash movie. It should work in all browsers.

Please let me know if there are any problems.

This is a rough edit of the film, so you may hear odd things, such as the director giving cues. This is for educational purposes only.

Please let me know what you think. Be honest. If it stinks, tell me it stinks!!

OK, I hope you enjoy it.)
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: New Feature Film Score By Jonny Lost

I'm about half-way through the clip (might not be able to finish it tonight), but it is very, very attractive. It seems quite cinematic, and has a film-score affect to it; I mean that in the best sense of the word. The music is interesting, but it has the feeling of underlying something else. It manages to be beautiful and haunting without becoming too self-prominent. There are a lot of ideas here, and while I like it a lot, I can't get a sense of form or direction. I suspect that is because this is meant to accompany something visual, so there is a narrative that we can't know (at least until the film comes out). I hear a lot of Glass in this, reminiscent of some of his socres, but never imitative.

I wish you the best with this project. Let me know if ot comes to Baltimore.

You said you hadn't been around here much - writing a film score will do that to you!

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

I too, am about halfway through this tonight. There is a lot of suspense to this as well as delicate places. It is very cinematic and quite long for holding attention without the dialogue and visuals. I like what I hear in the orchestration. Well done.

The glass parts seem to have a thematic repetition which adds some glue to the musical form. I would imagine many of the sounds and thematic material is for specific sequences in the visuals to reinforce them. Would love to see what this is accompanying. I commend you on the extensiveness of the work and the amount of effort and talent that went into this. Good luck in all the film festivals. Your name in lights! That's got to bring a smile to your face!!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Really nice score. It manages to be dark and joyless without sounding stupidly evil.

Jonny, what a treat this is, to hear your film score on here!

I really enjoyed it--Loved how you used the Celesta throughout. All of it sounds very effective to me. Kind of fun to hear cinema-style scoring without seeing the visuals--really leaves ya guessing.

So is this 1/2 hour the full score? Is it a feature length film, and this posting is an amalgamation of cues? I'm just curious.

I think perhaps more people would be listening and posting replies here if a smaller file had been shared, highlights from it done as a montage perhaps. But I hope more people listen, because this is great fun.

Congrats on the gig. And keep us posted!

Randy B.

I really wish we had a link for the film and music together as this is like following a score without the music. (just a part of it) I would guess that is not possible at this stage!

Having said that I still really like what you have done here - especially the passages with the celeste etc. Sounds like you had a lot of fun with it. (We won't mention all the very hard work-there is a lot of music here) I get the impression that you have tried to complement and work with the film and not the other way around.

Posting it in 3 or 4 parts (spread out over a couple of weeks) would be better as more people would actually listen to it (which is the main idea)

And by the way, I did listen to all of it!!! Mostly on headphones to get a more intimate listen. Got a better sense of the dynamics and the room.
    I did find the very end sort of cut off a little too quickly for my taste.

thanks for posting - Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

Orcas Island

You really scored with this! I listened to the entire work and this is excellent. The writing is your usual first rate work. Lots of variety - magical celeste, deep brooding basses, suspenseful tremolos, angelic harp work and so many sound colors. Terrific writing and orchestration.

I would lreally like to see the film that supports this music.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Best wishes,

Gary Garritan

HOW cool is THIS???

Fanstastic writing! I can only imagine what is happening on the screen, but- your music evokes such wonderful imagery that I am totally enjoying it for its own sake. The colors are, as Gary mentioned, very varied. Great orchestrations! That celeste is perfect. I have always loved the Tremelo strings, and they are so nice to add color and texture. The string writing is just superb. The number of motifs created from the original material is simply stunning!

What piano are you using? it sounds great!.

Well done my friend! What a treat to hear.

MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

I listened to this this morning and found it quite enjoyable. It presents a dark and somber mood, one of expectation and possibly danger. I know nothing of the movie that you are doing this score for, but it is definitely cinematic and it draws upon the listener's emotions. I am a firm believer that no matter what you write or what medium of composing you use, if you don't engage the listener's ears with trips in the mind, you have only put notes on paper. This piece definitely draws a emaotional picture of dread, doom, rapture, joy, mysticism, forboding... I suspect the film has something to do with magic, possibly dark magic... (I'm usually wrong). It was a very enjoyable listen. (note: the wife liked it too!)
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the comments. I'm at work now and unfortunately, I can't comment much, but I will upload video tonight and tell you a bit more about the film.

Once again, thanks for the support,

Your friend,
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast