• Register
  • Help

Topic: Polyphonic

Share/Bookmark

Polyphonic

All the samples seem to be polyphinc but I want to write chords - is there a way of making it polyphonic?

Re: Polyphonic

Well, grand pianos play chords, trumpets don't, basically. So, in JABB, polyphonic instruments are polyphonic and monophonic instruments are monophonic, pure and simple.

If you want to create three voice chords using, e.g. trumpets, you need to assign three (preferably different) trumpet instruments to three different MIDI channels, or even three instances of JABB.

HTH.

/Joey

If you want to play an instrument polyphonically (e.g. for sketching purposes) then use the "Lite" versions of the instruments. They can be set to play polyphonically.

Tom

Also, if you would like to see how the libraries are designed to be used examine the following thread from the Tips and Tutorials section of the forum: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=45965 None of these were created using wind instruments polyphonically. Instead, they attempt to mimic the behavior of the actual acoustic instruments (and separate players for every part.)

Tom

So you're saying that every wind instrument note has to be on a separate track with it's own midi channel to play polyphonic regardless of the brand of sequencer? If this is the case, how would you play chords for a trumpet section on a keyboard?

Quote Originally Posted by ronboykin
    So you're saying that every wind instrument note has to be on a separate track with it's own midi channel to play polyphonic regardless of the brand of sequencer? If this is the case, how would you play chords for a trumpet section on a keyboard?
    Sequencer type has no relevance to the question. Instrument programming does. If you want to play chords from a keyboard in realtime then re-read my post above about using the Lite instruments; they can be played polyphonically from a keyboard. Of course, they will sound accordingly inferior to doing it right - that is, approaching each instrument as a separate musician (just like you would if you were writing for real players,) applying detailed controller data to add expression, and doing careful audio mixing. Keep in mind that JABB is designed as a composer's tool not a performer's tool. As I've stated before, it's purpose is primarily twofold:

1. To aid composers in making reasonable decisions about instrumental combinations, voicings, articulations, etc. prior to putting a chart in front of real musicians - useful feedback during the writing process.

2. To create excellent sounding mockups for the purpose of promotion of said compositions *if* the user is willing to do the extra work to apply the various controllers (as designed) for sculpting various aspects of expression, inflection, and instrumental techniques. The demos linked above illustrate this use of the library.

At no point have we ever promoted JABB as a realtime performance library. Having said that, there is nothing stopping someone from trying. Just be sure to use the Lite instruments, which are more suited to attempting this sort of thing.

Tom

Thanks, Tom, for that explanation. You cleared up a lot for me because I actually do intend to use this sample library the way it was intended to be used! I notice that many musicians play their midi parts in real time from a keyboard and most of the sample libraries that I've used will play polyphonic parts and chords from a single track or keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by ronboykin
    I notice that many musicians play their midi parts in real time from a keyboard and most of the sample libraries that I've used will play polyphonic parts and chords from a single track or keyboard.
    Yup, we're different. We have to be different if we are going to give the user the ability to simultaneously do things like continuously shape dynamic volume/timbre, tongue/slur, attack strength, pitch manipulation, vibrato control, air flow noise, keyclicks, etc. Other libraries rarely incorporate the depth of controller features that JABB uses to help emulate instrument behavior and playing techniques. The Lite instruments' programming dispenses with many of these features in trade for the ability to play polyphonically.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    At no point have we ever promoted JABB as a realtime performance library.
    Tom
    Just curious, Tom, would you say the opposite of the soon to be released GM library? If so, will the winds and percussion be derived from the JABB samples? Will the library be playable through the KP2 VSTi?

Go Back to forum