• Register
  • Help

Topic: To Gary Garritan

Share/Bookmark

To Gary Garritan

Hi Gary,

I searched the Net for another item but found this one:

http://www.dandeanpro.com/DDSSA-Manual.pdf

This program for solo violin uses KP2 as well and KEYSWITCHES as you do for GPO. Isn't this patented, copyrighted or whatever you call it to you?

Raymond

Exclamation Re: To Gary Garritan

Raymond,
    Keyswitches are a common method in sampling technology. Way to watch Garys back though!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Re: To Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    Hi Gary,

I searched the Net for another item but found this one:

http://www.dandeanpro.com/DDSSA-Manual.pdf

This program for solo violin uses KP2 as well and KEYSWITCHES as you do for GPO. Isn't this patented, copyrighted or whatever you call it to you?

Raymond
    Raymond,

You asked specifically about KEYSWITCHES and I will address your question.

GOS was the first orchestral library to use keyswitching and GPO followed suit. It was a feature in GigaStudio and later in Kontakt that allowed us to do this. Bank switching was not possible with the new software samplers, so the keyswitch method allowed another way to switch sampled articulations. I believe early hardware synths also had this feature. Now this feature is standard.

Thanks for thinking of us and asking. Much appreciated.

Gary Garritan

Raymond,

I carefully checked what is reported in Dan Dean Solo Strings Advanced manual.

What they claim is basically the following:

1) using Proprietary Timbral Impulses based on Timbral “fingerprints” of solo and ensemble Strings, captured from all sorts of outside sources.

2) using Keyswitches for selecting different articulations.

While the latter approach is similar to that used in our Solo Strings Instruments, it may now be considered standard practice.

Timbral fingerprints, obtained from actual recordings, is conceptually similar to the proprietary IR technology that Stefano and I developed and applied for patenting years ago. However, the technique behind Dan Dean approach can well be original and different from ours, so no controversy is warranted from our side.

It may be useful to recall once again that all the patented technologies behind the Stradivari and the Gofriller, as well as the overall design and programming of these instruments, were developed and belong to myself and Stefano Lucato,

Patent applications are the following: “Time alignment of the phase of a set of musical sounds to be used with samplers”, filed by Giorgio Tommasini on September 23th, 2004, and “Determination of modal resonances and body impulse response of a musical instrument by analysis of sounds performed with pitch changes. Application to the synthesis of vibrato & portamento with samplers", filed by Giorgio Tommasini & Stefano Lucato on December 20th, 2004.

Thus, no problem with Dan Dean from Giorgio Tommasini and Stefano Lucato.

Sincerely,

Giorgio & Stefano

Thanks.
    You know sometimes programs are so much look-a-likes, that one gets the impression that .... you know. Look at the discussion between Apple and Windows about the looks of their desktop (wasn't it?).

Raymond

Go Back to forum