• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tuning problem-GPO is playing 1/2 step higher

Share/Bookmark

Tuning problem-GPO is playing 1/2 step higher

Help! I use GPO with Axiom 61 keyboard. On Monday night I recorded part of a cello part for a piece I'm writing. Last night I went back to complete it. The pitch had changed by 1/2 step!!!!!!!!!!!!! I.e. the low C I played both on the keyboard and on via the computer keyboard (on-screen Kontakt Player) sounded d flat (I checked the pitches on my real piano). What could have happened?

Re: Tuning problem-GPO is playing 1/2 step higher

Quote Originally Posted by John Newell
    Help! I use GPO with Axiom 61 keyboard. On Monday night I recorded part of a cello part for a piece I'm writing. Last night I went back to complete it. The pitch had changed by 1/2 step!!!!!!!!!!!!! I.e. the low C I played both on the keyboard and on via the computer keyboard (on-screen Kontakt Player) sounded d flat (I checked the pitches on my real piano). What could have happened?
    Wiggle the pitch wheel on you keyboard while playing that channel. It's not just GPO - and I'm not entirely sure why this occurs - but that should be enough to fix it.

You'd also find (edit: reloading) the Kontakt player would fix the problem, but that takes more time/effort.

Quote Originally Posted by John Newell
    Try what tfishbein82 suggested (thanks tfish!). also, check your soundcard setting and see if it is outputting at 48khaz rather than 44.1. Sometimes this will shift the pitch a half step.

Gary Garritan

Thank you guys. The problem went away last night when I booted up the computer & keyboard, but I'll keep your posts in case it happens again.

John Newell

Maybe GPO is trying to adopt the new a=451hz standard a bit ahead of the curve.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

sounds like it might have something to do with the sample rate. I had a problem with an external sync box set to 48K. I finished a music project on my Pro tools HD with sync set to internal at 44.1K and then tried to import the bounced file into a video project synced to the external box at 48K and it played about a half step up (or down, i can't remember). maybe this is something to look into.

Go Back to forum