• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Topic: The Heat Death of the Universe

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    The Heat Death of the Universe

    The Heat Death of the Universe

    The second law of thermodynamics in action. The Heat Death of the Universe.

    Note: If you have problems go towards the bottom of the page and you should see a link to down load the MP3 file.

    This piece was concieved as as a companion piece to the darkness between the stars. But I will let you decide how well they go together.

    A new MP3 file of the piece was uploaded 2007/06/05. The piece is played by the JABB Bass Clarinet and is processed through a tape delay/echo unit in Sonar for the final recording.


    The 'heat-death' of the universe is when the universe has reached a state of maximum entropy"

    "The heat death is a possible final state of the universe."

    Ed
    Last edited by Ed Sharpe; 06-06-2007 at 05:20 PM. Reason: details
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

  2. #2

    Re: The Heat Death of the Universe

    Shades of Charles Wuorinen (well, in spirit perhaps)... a most
    interesting piece, conceptually, Ed!

    And I'd call it quite a successful one, as well -- both as a
    writer and as, occasionally in the past, a working physicist.
    Given my own penchant for exploring the grand universe in
    musical terms, my compliments on doing likewise.

    Well done!

    All my best,


    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

  3. #3

    Re: The Heat Death of the Universe

    Hello, Ed

    (NOTE--Anyone having trouble with the Sibelius site--You can download the MP3 from a link about 3/4 down the page, below the score, on the left hand side.)

    You achieved a really interesting sound from the JABB Bass Clarinet with this burbling, repeating phrase. Besides the panning (auto or not) it's not just a matter of passing the signal through a delay or tape echo (which isn't quite the same effect). There's something else like a resonant filter or even a ring modulator?

    "...The second law of thermodynamics in action..." was your text introduction. That coupled with the title "The Heat Death of the Universe" had me expecting something different from this looped, un-dramatic piece which sounded more like the prelude to the stated concepts. I would think those themes would involve rather unexpected moments with more cacophony in their aural depiction, being rather large, explosive events.

    Thank you for a pleasantly surprising listen.

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)



    The second law of thermodynamics in action.

  4. #4

    Re: The Heat Death of the Universe

    Having just burnt my supper, I thought I would tune into this Ed! And I'm glad I did. The intensity of this mix is amazing - and I love the way it fades out and retreats towards the end.

    I'm something of a star gazer myself (comets were my speciality a few years back) - and the link between the cosmos and music has always intrigued me. This piece helps to define that link.

    Regards, Graham

  5. #5

    Re: The Heat Death of the Universe

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Shades of Charles Wuorinen (well, in spirit perhaps)... a most
    interesting piece, conceptually, Ed!

    And I'd call it quite a successful one, as well -- both as a
    writer and as, occasionally in the past, a working physicist.
    Given my own penchant for exploring the grand universe in
    musical terms, my compliments on doing likewise.

    Well done!

    All my best,


    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .
    Thank you for taking the time to listen.

    I am not familar with Charles Wuorinen, but I will check him out. Thanks.

    Ed
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

  6. #6

    Re: The Heat Death of the Universe

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hello, Ed

    (NOTE--Anyone having trouble with the Sibelius site--You can download the MP3 from a link about 3/4 down the page, below the score, on the left hand side.)
    The MP3 File is now availabel on Box.net at: http://www.box.net/shared/upcsda1fae

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    You achieved a really interesting sound from the JABB Bass Clarinet with this burbling, repeating phrase. Besides the panning (auto or not) it's not just a matter of passing the signal through a delay or tape echo (which isn't quite the same effect). There's something else like a resonant filter or even a ring modulator?
    There is also some realspace reverb throwen in too. And there is some filtering inside of the tape effect. The finial sound is a mix of both wet and dry signal (I think the is the correct terminology).

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-

    "...The second law of thermodynamics in action..." was your text introduction. That coupled with the title "The Heat Death of the Universe" had me expecting something different from this looped, un-dramatic piece which sounded more like the prelude to the stated concepts. I would think those themes would involve rather unexpected moments with more cacophony in their aural depiction, being rather large, explosive events.
    I think I need to put up (after I finish it) a version with out the Tape effects and see if that is closer to your idea.


    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Thank you for a pleasantly surprising listen.

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)



    The second law of thermodynamics in action.

    Thank you for your comments.

    Ed
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

  7. #7

    Re: The Heat Death of the Universe

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch
    Having just burnt my supper, I thought I would tune into this Ed! And I'm glad I did. The intensity of this mix is amazing - and I love the way it fades out and retreats towards the end.

    I'm something of a star gazer myself (comets were my speciality a few years back) - and the link between the cosmos and music has always intrigued me. This piece helps to define that link.

    Regards, Graham

    Thank you, I am glad you enjoyed it.
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

  8. #8

    Re: The Heat Death of the Universe

    Hello again, Ed

    Thanks for the further detail on the effects you used--interesting!

    As for my personal reaction to the piece, which was that it's more symmetrical and less explosive than I would have expected - that doesn't really matter. It veers close to the area of "how I would do this," and that's never a valid stance for a critique. Who cares what I might have done, or what anyone else might have done--You did it, and this is the way you wanted to compose the music.

    Having a version without your effects would be as drastic as changing instrumentation, because the effects have become part of your composition--And it's certainly not worth the experiment just to see if it comes closer to what I might have done with the same concept.

    I admire what you have done, surprises and all.

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •