• Register
  • Help

Topic: AU Host applications

Share/Bookmark

AU Host applications

I know RAX is only $50, which, all things considered, is definitely not that bad. But, considering I just purchased Atmosphere, and must purchase RAX to use it, it's rather like adding $50 to the price of Atmosphere itself, unfortunately, so I thought I'd ask:

Are there any reliable, free AU host applications? I seem to remember a fellow at Ilio saying there were...

Any recommendations here?

Steve
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Re: AU Host applications

What Mac software are you sequencing in that doesn't use AU?

You should get into an entry level DAW that supports Au - better use of your money. Logic express is surprisingly flexible for the money. It's better than Logic Gold when I bought it for $600+ in 1993(ish). I don't even think it was colored then - I think it was just Logic Audio..... anyway - it's pretty dang powerful for the money - and of course Logic itself rocks

J-

Hi. I was under the impression that RAX was no longer being supported or developed. If you have a mac that is recent it should have GarageBand installed as part of the ilife package.Atmoshere will appear as a generator option in the software instruments window.GB also come with a bunch of software instruments as well as loops.iLife is about $100 bucks and has other app.s also that may or may not be helpful in other areas of you computer use. Maybe you know someone with a mac that you could borrow thier disc to download it or check to see if you have it already. It is a fun little daw that can help get you started. JON

Hi. I just read on Plasq site that they are finalizing the sale of RAX to a non-specified Co. So maybe RAX will stil be available for purchase again soon. Unless the new Co. has been announced that you know of. Plasq is no longer selling it but stil will continue support for previous buyers for a years time. That my change with the sale however. JON

Are you using an Intel Mac or a PowerPC Mac (i.e. G4/G5)? If you are using a PowerPC Mac then any host that supports Audio Units will work. Some popular sequencers include Logic, Digital Performer, GarageBand, and Live. If you are using an Intel Mac you should contact Spectrasonics Tech Support about your available options since an Universal Binary version of Atmosphere is not available and will not work nativley on your computer.

I'm sorry I wasnt more clear...

I'm using an Intel Mac, and Logic Pro 7.2.3. I'd like to be able to use Atmosphere, but as we all know, support won't be available for Intel until the Fall.....

One suggested workaround was to run Logic in Rosetta Mode, but, alas, my VI plugins are not recognized when I do that, so I doubt that would work.

Anyhow, I hope this helps explain the issue better.
    Thanks for the advice!
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Steve your best bet is to get a second computer that is Power PC. Even if you had another AU host You can't run Atmosphere on your intel until the support is out. You MIGHT try it in some sort of emulation mode but I seriously doubt that work very well. You should contact Spectrasonics to see if there's a better work around for you.

J-

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_K
    I'm sorry I wasnt more clear...

I'm using an Intel Mac, and Logic Pro 7.2.3. I'd like to be able to use Atmosphere, but as we all know, support won't be available for Intel until the Fall.....

One suggested workaround was to run Logic in Rosetta Mode, but, alas, my VI plugins are not recognized when I do that, so I doubt that would work.

Anyhow, I hope this helps explain the issue better.
    Thanks for the advice!
    You can get RAX here for free:

http://www.macmusic.org/software/view.php?id=395

Download 1.2.3 and it will work for you.

Hosting a single instance of Atmosphere is FREE.

More info on the setup HERE:

http://www.spectrasonics.net/news/Wo...Intel-Mac.html

Thanks, Spectrum and all for the advice, it's much appreciated!

Steve
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Go Back to forum