I've been getting mixed messages on this subject, so I need the definitive answer...

I want to run Kontakt2 as a plugin in a simple VST host on a PC computer running Windows XP Pro SP2. This computer does nothing but run Kontakt2 -- the DAW application is running on a separate computer connected via MIDI and lightpipe. I've set things up so that the VST host can run simultaneously with Kontakt2 standalone on the same computer -- I want to do this to increase the amount of instruments I can load and MIDI channels I can run on this PC. I have 64 MIDI channels available, but I can only get the Kontakt2 plugin to recognize 16 of those, which it labels "from host". The rest are labeled "unavailable".

Some people have told me that there is no way to access anything beyond 16 MIDI channels in plugin mode, others say that there is a way, but they aren't able to explain it to me... so I'm getting really confused. Is 16 the MIDI channel cutoff in plugin mode? Running additional plugin instances does me no good, because if the instances share the same MIDI channels, then they'll both be simultaneously triggered by the MIDI data coming in. So... is there any way that I can assign my 48 remaining MIDI channels to plugin instances of Kontakt2?