• Register
  • Help

Topic: orch. basic percussion - need help about volume

Share/Bookmark

orch. basic percussion - need help about volume

Hello GPOers
    I tryied browsing the posts, but haven't found nothing about this:

In my system (cubase VST 5.1, Terratec EWX 24/96 soundcard), the volume of most of the percussions in the basic percussion samples is rather low, except for the metal ones, so that if I raise the volume of the sample from the Kontakt player, the crashes, gongs etc play way too loud. As a result, snares and bassdrums are usually buried too low under the orchestra.
    I'd like to be able to correct the balance of this sample without having to manually tweak each note (also because I really have to raise the velocity too much, which reduces the range), and I'd also like not to have to load separate samples for snares and bass drums.

Has anybody else encountered this problem? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thank you

Mario

Re: orch. basic percussion - need help about volume

Mario,

If you have the full version of Kontakt you could load the instruments and make custom adjustments to the programming to suit your needs but why not use the separate percussion instruments instead of the Basic Orch combination? That's why they are there, so that you can load and separately control each group. Individual instruments in combinations within the group (e.g. Percussion Toys) can then be adjusted using velocity. Worst case would be loading a group just to address a specific percussion instrument but that should rarely be necessary.

Tom

Tom,
    I would love to use separate patches for percussion but in the "Cymbals" patch the A5 cymbal does not keep vibrating and performs just like the one on G#5. I had mentioned this in a previous forum entry. It doesn't seem to have been fixed in KP2. Is there a fix?

Thanks, Reber Clark

There will be. Next update.

Tom

Thank you Tom,

the reason why I'd like not to load separate instruments is because I'm afraid I'd run out of memory. I'm assuming that the Basic Orchestra Percussions is lighter than it would be if I had to load some separate instruments, but maybe I'm wrong, since the BOP sample could be much bigger...

I don't have the full Kontakt (only the one that comes with GPO), so I can't modify the samples.

Thanks again

Mario

In the meantime, you might just load the basic perc patch more than once. I used to do this all the time as it was more convenient volume wise. Hope that helps.

In the meantime, you might just load the basic perc patch more than once. I used to do this all the time as it was more convenient volume wise. Hope that helps.
    I am guessing you mean that I could assign them to different midi channels, and send to each bank only some of the notes, for instance all the snares go to one channel, the cymbals to another etc., then adjust the volume of each basic perc. patch from the Kontakt player... It makes sense, but at that point shouldn't I just load the patches I need separately? Maybe that could be useful for instruments that don't have their own patch (I'm not sure they all do)... I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks

Mario

Go Back to forum