• Register
  • Help

Topic: the MAC problem

Share/Bookmark

Post the MAC problem

talked to Mac in the States yesterday (gracias a Dios por Skype) - but the news does not appear to be good. First, as for buying a Pro 8 core, the person said it is not shipped to anywhere in américa del sur. as far as keeping it from us here in colombia, i am having trouble figuring out how it could be used by the narcotraficantes - but..whatever. As for the Pro quad, the GHz can be increased up to the amount on the 8 core - dual procesadores with 3 GHz each - BUT, for whatever tecnica reasons, even yet, the speed on the 8 core is 8 times faster than the quad - and we are talking thousands of your dollares. So, if the quad is slow - even with the same GHz, and Mac will not ship the new jewel to us- finale may be of little use. i know it needs a lot of space and speed to open up and do what it does - and Leaf (David) in dallas told me that even with 1.5 Gb in ram, he cuts out at odd times with no more than 10 or 12 instruments. as we say - ¡que lastima!. Thank you all again for your ever present help and hospitality.
    ding

Re: the MAC problem

8 cores is really a waste of money. There is very very little software than can take advantage of it. Put the money into RAM. Extra RAM will do you a lot more good than 8 vs 4 cores.

Post Re: the MAC problem

Ding,
    Craig is spot on with this. Your software has to be written to take advantage of 8 cores. I have no idea what kind of workload you have, however unless it is very, very large you should never need 8 cores. (Well, at least with software as it is today. Who knows what will be in 3 years?!) RAM is the way to spend your money.

Can you describe what kind of a workload you usually have? Number of tracks, instruments, effects? I see people all the time running 40 -50 tracks with effects, etc on 2 CPUs. Maybe we can help you figure out what your optimum solution is.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

And don't forget about freezing tracks to free up power and memory. Sorry if this is information you already have, but I thinnk most of us get by with much less than you wanted to purchase.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

thank you all. as you can see very easy, i am not tecnical - NOT tecnical. i write for the piano, for piano and orquesta or some other solo and orquesta. but i know finale needs much room to open up everything, and i was thinking of buying another computer besides this eMac to dedicate to this music use - with maybe a web connection to get software updates easy. the quad is sold here in bogotá - according to the Mac people in the States - but i think it comes with between 2 and 3 GHz and maybe 1 gig of ram. perhaps, if not enough, MAC locally could add some GHZ and-or gigs. to be comfortable with SOME extra space and speed and enough RAM, please feel free to give ALL of your opinions. They are respected.
    if there is some law that keeps MAC from shipping this to us, it would do no good to buy in MIA and have it taken from me by the DIAN here when i arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by hermanding
    thank you all. as you can see very easy, i am not tecnical - NOT tecnical. i write for the piano, for piano and orquesta or some other solo and orquesta. but i know finale needs much room to open up everything, and i was thinking of buying another computer besides this eMac to dedicate to this music use - with maybe a web connection to get software updates easy. the quad is sold here in bogotá - according to the Mac people in the States - but i think it comes with between 2 and 3 GHz and maybe 1 gig of ram. perhaps, if not enough, MAC locally could add some GHZ and-or gigs. to be comfortable with SOME extra space and speed and enough RAM, please feel free to give ALL of your opinions. They are respected.
    if there is some law that keeps MAC from shipping this to us, it would do no good to buy in MIA and have it taken from me by the DIAN here when i arrive.
    As the rest have said, more memory will help you more than the 8 cores. Buy the fastest 4 core machine you can (3GHz) and get at least 4GB of RAM. In the USA it's usually cheaper to do this through a third party.

I've got a 4 core machine and it works great!

Keith Walls

Question Re: the MAC problem

thank you Keith. is the 4 core machine you refer a Mac Pro quad?
    ding

Go Back to forum