• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cristofori

Post Cristofori

I am new to this forum. I have started taking piano lessons. I am in the market to buy a piano. My wife, an experienced player, needs a grand piano. We went to Jordan Kitts store, and they showed a brand called Cristofori. Any ideas or reviews of this brand?

Re: Cristofori

Never heard of Cristofori Brand Piano. Still only know of him as the piano inventor. Be cautious about cheap chinese manufacured immitation piano's. I've tried some of the cheapos and sometimes the keys stick.

This is probably not the best forum for real piano advice. Most of the talk her is around virtual/software based pianos. You may want to try a place like piano world forum.

Good luck and welcome to the forum

Re: Cristofori

The best place for the advice that you're seeking is PianoWorld.com.

If you go there, you may want to use the Search function for Jordan Kitts.

I think that Cristofori is what's called a "stencil" piano. Stencils are essentially identical instuments that are made in the same factory but have different decals on the fallboard. Most of these are made in China.

The quality of Chinese-made pianos is rising rapidly and there is a whole other, recent tier of instruments that approach the quality of fine European and American ones - tho they may not have the strength of personality that results from decades of defining and refining tone production.

It's a good idea to audition as many pianos as you can get your mitts on and make notes about what you like or don't like about each one.

When first auditioning, try to include pianos that are clearly out of your price range. The reason is that the first goal is just to identify your tonal preference. If you haven't shopped for pianos lately, I think that you'll be pleasantly surprised at the tonal range that's available and also at the differing strengths and weaknesses within that range.

If you post on PW, you can get more advice, including the price guide that PW regulars recommend as providing the starting prices for negotiation. Except for Steinway, the first price you hear is often equivalent to the prices posted on windshields at used car lots.

Go Back to forum