• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Erik Paulsen's Spies Girls

Erik Paulsen's Spies Girls

Hey Gang,

Long time no see. I used to be a regular around here but been a little busy the past year.

Just thought I'd pop by and invite you to check out my latest, a few tunes for a short film a friend of mine made called Spies Girls. You can find it in the music section of my site.

JABB Drums in use throughout. Horns not JABB exclusive, but mixed in with live trumpet and other horn samples. The closing mambo in "Briefcase Recovered" is all JABB Saxes and Clarinet.

Hope you enjoy!

Erik Paulsen

Re: Erik Paulsen's Spies Girls

good work! The opening titles are great, I like the jazzy one, cool! The bossa too.

And the theme-Song is great! Fine arranged!

My best,

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hello, Erik

The retro-feel of "Spies Girls" is just great--You've captured a really fun sound on these cues and the production is excellent. The mix of various sources you used on the Brass certainly works.

By the way--why isn't that Spy Girls rather than Spies, plural--?

Great work, Erik--Glad you took time to drop by and share it!

Randy B.

Great to see you here again Erik!

The theme is cool, but it could really use some more kick drum and bass.

The first thing that played (that ended with a snare roll) had too much upright bass to me. The upright bass in JABB needs a ton of fatness (60 hz and below) and it needs to be compressed like all get out, that's not your fault though.

Is there a Peter Sellers in this movie?
    Some great stuff in there Erik.

Thanks for posting!

whoops! I figured it wouldn't be immediately clear to everyone that Erik's post somehow got duplicated on the Forum. Previous replies had started on the other copy of the post, and I was thinking this one could drop off or be deleted by a moderator, but now this reply is on it.

Well, but maybe you could fix this up DPDAN--move your reply to the other thread we have going on Erik's music and then delete this duplicate?

Randy B.

Very good job, man.

I love the Main titles. The Theme Song reminds me of a Quincy Jones tune. Cool, man.

I would really love to see this film. I also like to hear more from the score.

Keep up the great work.

By the way, who did your website. It's awesome. I like how crisp and clean it appears. I'm trying to make a slim lined website like that. Maybe you could check it out and tell me what you think. My website url is www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html Thanks man.
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Hello again, Erik

I had such a good time listening to your post again, I wanted to reply again also and get back to the top of page one. This is some of the most professionally recorded music I've ever heard here.

Erik, you could actually help out some on the accidental duplication. You could edit the text on the other copy asking people to please respond just to this copy. I've chosen to write all this on This copy because it has more responses. Hopefully the responses attached to the other thread can be moved to this thread.

Randy B.

Hi, Erik

I agree with Dan on the bass recording thing.
    Apart from that, this work just blows away most of the work posted here.
    I hope a lot of musicians in the forum just listen to this and try to learn from it. Yes you can take it I enjoy.

My Best

Hello again, Erik

Ray's enthusiastic reply which echoes my own made me want to say something I think is important, as an addition to what Ray said.

The majority of music posted here is of an orchestral nature, logically enough because of how GPO is the flag ship library from Garritan. I enjoy the wide variety of music people share here, but it does remain that most is orchestral and of a "serious" nature.

It can be unhelpful to compare apples and oranges. Producing pop music, classical music, jazz, film scores--they all have their unique challenges, from composition down to final mixing and mastering. Techniques used in one genre are often unrelated to techniques used in another.

So there's a limit to how much can be learned studying your recording, or Anyone's recording, when one is working in a very different genre and style of music.

Some people here are content to have only rudimentary "renderings" which sketch in an abstract idea of how their music could sound with live musicians, being concerned primarily with creating solid scores. Others are more concerned with coming up with more finished and polished recordings of their work, perhaps not even being concerned with having to have a printed score to show for it.

So there are many different genres being worked on here, and several different goals when it comes to presenting an aural representation of the work.

This is all just a small chat about musical theories and philosophies which occured to me when I read Ray suggesting that everyone here could learn a lot from what you've done. I love what you posted, as you already know, so I don't mean to take anything away from your accomplishment in these recordings.

I just wanted to put things a bit in perspective and point out that it's not as if everyone here is working in an area where they could learn from your excellent productions, or even have the same kind of goals about their recordings.

Something like that.

Thanks again for this music--I'm still curious why it's "Spies Girls" instead of "Spy (singular) Girls."--?

(and I'm still wishing that a moderator would notice the double posting so the other copy could be deleted, with its replies pasted on to this thread)

Randy B.

Excellent production on this, Erik; a real pleasure to the ear...
    got a kick out of just a touch of oblique reference to "Pink
    Panther" in a spot or two. Impressive brass work in this; really
    propels the writing.

My best,

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast