• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: my first piece from niki

my first piece from niki

Hello everyone,

I am ---niki---

here is my first composition posted here - I think it is very good like all other pieces here - please let me know you enjoy

Re: my first piece from niki

Hello, Niki--Pleased to meet you. Looks like I have the honor of being the first to welcome you.

Your piece, "Transported" is such a sweet song! As I listened I was thinking that it could be the very thing for an album of music for children perhaps--Is that the sort of thing you had in mind?

I have a few other questions, maybe you would like to reply:

--I couldn't recognize the lead instrument at the beginning and end. A synth reed of some sort?

--The piano sounds like it could be the one in GPO. Is it?

--Thinking of the delicacy of this melody, have you thought perhaps of ways to maintain that light mood more completely, maybe without the need for the bass drum throughout?

--Are you sending your entire mix through one reverb unit? It sounds like perhaps you are, because I feel there was too much reverb and at the same level for all instruments. The effect is that the band is a very far from me, playing in a large empty space. If you are using one reverb through which the whole mix is being sent, you would need to change the Dry/Wet mix so that the music can be closer.

By the way, I especially enjoyed the Clarinet's counter melody part.

Thank you for posting this Niki. Maybe you can tell us more about what instruments you're using and how you work.

Randy B.

Niki, this sounds kind of like a folk song of sorts. The melody is fairly simple but something that can be remembered. I liked it. The bass drum on the first beat of every measure seemed a little monotanous, but I enjoyed you song. Thanks for posting.

Hello again, Niki

I hope to hear from you again. Did the feedback you've gotten so far seem helpful?

Notice how both Jay and I felt the bass drum was perhaps counter to the mood you otherwise established.

And I'm hoping some of what I said about using reverb was helpful.

Looking forward to hearing from you. Meanwhile, this new reply from me will bring your music back to the top of the page where more people will have the chance to take a listen.

Randy B.

thank you for enjoying my piece and jaynkate also - I am glad you like the reverb I use on all parts - I thought it sounbded very great and will use it always - the solo part at the start is jabb trumpet - maybe you are using poor speakers to listen and therefore did not hear the quility of this instrument - it sounds very good in my system - ---niki---

Hello again, Niki

Thank you for the replies to some of my questions.

It was especially interesting to know the lead instrument is a JABB Trumpet--I took another listen, and still can barely recognize it!

I think there are a number of factors contributing to this. The sound is ringing with so much reverb which has a lot of treble in it, and that's not a very natural effect. And you haven't used any Vibrato, which is rather essential in a lead Trumpet line. Also, I think perhaps you didn't use any Legato, so it doesn't have the fluidity of the real instrument. And finally, you have it playing in a high Baroque Trumpet octave, whereas an octave lower would place it where the Trumpet more comfortably sits.

Listening again also compels me to say again that this recording has So much reverb in it that the instruments sound very far away from me. Using less would make the sound more clearly and more naturally.

I do hope you take my feedback, given as my own subjective reactions, as attempts to be helpful. Something that happens to everyone is we can idealize the way our recording sounds, hearing the way we imagine it more than how it actually sounds. That's why getting reactions from first-time listeners can sometimes be instructive.

I listen to all music here on the same speakers, so I didn't have any special problems in the playback of your piece--It's as I always hear things.

Randy B.

A good first-showing, Niki, and a very warm welcome to
    the forum!

My best,

Enjoyed it--very nice.

Hello again, Niki

I'm hoping you saw the good feedback you got on this, your first post here.

And I also want to reiterate that the reactions from me that I posted earlier were offered in the spirit of wanting to be helpful. I hope I didn't scare you away!

Come back soon, and with more music!

Randy B.

Howdy Niki!
    Welcome to the forum! I hope you continue to post often. I did enjoy listening to your work. Wonderful melodies with a soft touch; almost tells a story ... Here at the forum you can always trust that every reply to a piece of music is sincere and meant to support and offer kind constructive advice. There are many great composers on this forum. Take a bit a have a listen around ...
    Thank you for posting!

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast