• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: classical percussion

Share/Bookmark

classical percussion

I'm in the process of preparing a piece for piano and percussion and was wondering if the additional percussion in JABB might be usable for such a project.

I'm looking for things like rototoms, woodblocks, extended crotales, temple blocks, different snare drum sizes, same for side drum....

I'll be using Finale 2006 (which is what I use for most of my composing anyways).

Re: classical percussion

can't anyone help me with this?
    I just need a bit of extra information, which is not available on the Garritan website, about which instruments are in the JABB percussion section.

is there a complete list somewhere of the JABB percussion?

And if anyone uses it, is it really more geared to a "jazzy" sound? or would it still be usable in a "classical" setting?

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy

I'm looking for things like rototoms, woodblocks, extended crotales, temple blocks, different snare drum sizes, same for side drum....
    Rototoms do not exist in either GPO or JABB. Most of the other things you mention are in GPO. Crotales are one octave. Temple blocks are not but there is a woodblock and jam block in JABB.

My favorite percussion library is Virtual Drum Line:
    http://www.tapspace.com/vdl2/instruments.html

Dave

yes, I know what is already in GPO, I've been using it for 2 years.

What I want to know is does JABB contain percussion sounds that I could use in a "classical" setting (ie: non-jazz influenced).

On the Garritan website, I see a partial list of the JABB percussion, but it ends with "...and many more" which really doesn't help me in any way. What ARE those "many more"?

You can find a complete list of the percussion in JABB on the reference sheet that I made -- which you can download here

The percussion list is scanned directly out of the manual so it should be 100% accurate.

A good percussion player should be able to play anything, within reason--check with your percussionist before writing something idiomatic for drumset, timpani, or mallets, as these sometimes take some specialization.

The JABB percussion instruments are often used in jazz settings, but they will work perfectly well in a classical setting if written properly. Differences between jazz and classical and other styles are more about how they are performed, not what instruments are there.

chris.

JABB has a ton of percussion, I haven't tried out yet most of these.
    Here is a list of all that Jabb shows for Percussion on the dropdown menus of the Kontakt2 Player in Finale:

Brushes>
    01 Brush Drum Kit
    02 Brush Drum Kit
    Brush Cymbol
    Brush Hihat
    Brush Snare Drum 1
    Brsuh Snare Drum 2
    Brush Toms
    Sgl-Layr-Hd Bass Drum

GM Drum Kits>
    GM Classic Jazz Drum Kit
    GM Fusion Drum Kit
    GM(mod) Brush Drum Kit

Percussion>
    01 Drums>
    Bata
    Bongos
    Cajones
    Conga
    Cuica
    Djembe
    Pandero
    Quinto
    Super Tumba
    Surdu
    The Box
    Timbales
    Tumba
    Udu

Percussion>
    02 Gourds>
    Cabassa
    Guira
    Guiro
    Maraccas
    Shakers
    Shekere

Percussion>
    03 Blocks>
    Clave
    Jam Block
    Woodblock

Percussion>
    04 Bells>
    Agogo Bells
    Bongo Bells
    Cha Cha Bells
    Timbale Bell

Percussion>
    05 Misc. Percussion>
    Castanets
    Handclaps - Fingersnaps
    Jawbone
    Rainstick
    Tambourine
    Triangles
    Whistles

Percussion>
    06 Combinations>
    All Drums
    All Gourds, Blocks, Bells, Misc.

Sticks>
    Classic Jazz Drum Kit>
    03 Jz Drum Kit
    14in Hihat2
    15in Hihat
    Cymbols
    Sgl-Layr-Hd Bass Drum
    Sgl-Layr-Hd Piccolo Snare
    Sgl-Layr-Hd Snare
    Sgl-Layr-Hd Toms

Sticks>
    Fusion Drum Kit>
    04 Fusion Drum Kit
    14in Hihat1
    Cymbols
    Dbl-Layr-Hd Bass Drum
    Dbl-Layr-Hd Piccolo Snare
    Dbl-Layr-Hd Snare
    Dbl-Layr-Hd Toms

can J&BB be played with the older Kontact Player 1.5 (I think that's the one, at least... the sam player that also came with the release of GPO)?

I want to keep using Finale 2006, and would rpefer not to use the "new" Kontact Player, which I think is version 2? I can't seem to find the number of the player version anywhere... I prefer the light-coloured one that only had 8 channels. The "updated" version causes me trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    can J&BB be played with the older Kontact Player 1.5 (I think that's the one, at least... the sam player that also came with the release of GPO)?...I prefer the light-coloured one that only had 8 channels. The "updated" version causes me trouble.
    JABB comes with a Kontact Player which is similar to the one for GPO, but it's black and red. Otherwise, the layout is exactly the same as the GPO player you're used to. You have to purposely register JABB at NI to get it going with the KP2 which causes you (and a lot of people) trouble.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

WOW!
    I ordered JaBB sunday night, got the confirmation email yesterday morning... and it arrived THIS morning!

that's less than 48 hours from order to install!

thank-you Gary.
    as always, I never expected anything less than the perfect service you always provide (even when N.I. is giving you all sorts of crap to deal with)

Keep your chin up.

Who knows, maybe I'll soon be able to post a new piece for 2 pianos and percussion!

Thumbs up Re: classical percussion

The line has been crossed so many times what's the big deal?
    Styxx

Go Back to forum