• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonata Preview

Sonata Preview

If you're bored (well, you might still be bored anyway!), here's a small preview of a piano sonata I'm currently working on:

Sonata in A Minor: Scherzo, 2:50, 5.3Mb (GPO Steinway).

Though the sonata is in A minor, this bit is A major (mostly) .

Re: Sonata Preview

Delightful! I love pieces like this. I think maybe it's really more like a 2 part invention, with the very nice baroque type counterpoint going on. Development section going into minor key is wonderful.

ps. my two-part invention No3:

I agree with Mike, that this has a stong hint of a Bach invention (but not using an invention form). I think it is nice. I like the way that you introduce a single note melody and then bring in a second contrapuntal melody. It did not sound forced(which i think is good). Thanks for posting.

Good morning, Darwin

It seems like I've developed a "Smile Test." When listening to music makes me involuntarily smile, I know a piece is weaving some magic on me. And your Sonata Preview certainly passed that "test."

I enjoyed this very much. This simple, playful theme was very engagingly bantered around during the arrangement. Now I'm looking forward to hearing the full piece, with the Am opening you alluded to.

The GPO piano certainly sounded fine. It always does when the user is having it play pianistically satisfying music.

Randy B.

Nice section and a nice mix. Maybe you will include a section with a slower tempo to give the movement a little contrast. Not like a slow movement, but a passage that is less "active."

Waiting for more, Darwin.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your comments! I would agree that the texture is two part (except for some occasional octave doublings), but unlike an actual two part invention this has no germinal motif, no imitation or development of that motif between parts, and no canon or stretto. However, it does have the form, tempo, meter, and key relationships of a scherzo. The scherzo often has a much lighter texture and higher tempo in contrast to the other movements of the sonata. In this particular case, a third voice would only slow things down, and it's already plenty hard to play as is.

I'm glad to read you enjoyed the middle sections. They're a little more dramatic than I had planned, but hopefully it will balance OK with the surrounding movements.

Agreed, a little Bach-like perhaps. And I'm glad you noticed the drop in texture to a single voice (and it happens in both voices).

Good afternoon, Randy,

It's nice when music makes one smile. I find the "B" section and the stepwise climb out of the "D" section the most pleasing. The other movements are all in various stages, but I won't post the rest until it's completed, hopefully before the July holiday.

Your suggestion about a formal, less active middle section is well taken, and is usually the norm. In a way, the first four measures are the relief in intensity, and one can hear that especially on the Da Capo. However, I had in my mind an overall relentless freneticism for this little movement, so I went with that. There is some breakdown in the third section, where the texture drops to one voice to give "some" relief, but it was all I was willing to allow the listener, for the time being. Thanks for the feedback!

Darwin, some good, solid writing in this! Perhaps a little
    more variation and modulation might be attractive; but
    there's certain some fine knitting in this.

Looking forward to hearing the entire sonata, so keep
    it coming...

My best,

Go Back to forum