• Register
  • Help

Topic: pops and clicks in GPO

Share/Bookmark

Question pops and clicks in GPO

I recently updated my computer, with an Asus A8n-Sli MOBO and an AMD Opteron 2.4 Ghz dual core processor. When playing GPO files in Sonar 6 that were made with my previous setup (Asus A8V Deluxe, A64 3000+), the CPU usage is way lower, but I am getting pops and clicks that were never there before. My soundcard is a Delta 66. I've tried many different latency settings and buffer sizes, but nothing seems to help. I haven't yet installed the most recent Kontact player update, but I have all of the previous GPO updates installed. Does anyone have any advice on resolving this issue? Thanks.

Re: pops and clicks in GPO

Which version of the Kontakt Player are you using? The 1.53 version will have pops and clicks when multi-processor support is enabled. Try disabling this in Sonar.

Jim

Thanks for your response, Jim. I'll check when I'm back at my computer. Is there a version of the Kontakt player that will work with dual core processors?

not to insult your intelligence, but have you ensured you have the M-Audio ASIO driver selected in SONAR? That is something I would miss, especially after starting over with a new setup.

Actually, I've always used the WDM drivers, as they give me better performance in Sonar and I've never had a problem with them and GPO until this hardware upgrade. Is it recommended that the ASIO drivers be used with GPO?

ASIO drivers are designed for use in audio applications and as far as I've heard they are usually the ones recommended for use, especially since they are usually specifically written for the hardware rather than more generic like WDM.
    I've always found a rather high latency in realtime when using the WDM \ Windows drivers and find that the ASIO one works much better for me. I'm running Cubase though so this may not be an issue with Sonar.
    The GPO manual does recommend ASIO drivers when using GPO Studio but that's all it says specifically.
    Good luck!

aspenleaf, I hope you took Chester's excellent advice about using ASIO drivers--it's the only way to fly.

If there are still pops and clicks when playing back a project, that isn't terribly unusual and not a big issue since the final 2 track mix down of projects won't have those artifacts. You may need to be bouncing at least some of your MIDI tracks to audio as you work on a piece--Out of necessity that's my standard procedure, and the only way I can hear things develop without pops, clicks and dropouts. If I attempted to do my projects without using the ASIO drivers--it would be really hopeless!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I did some comparisons between WDM and ASIO about 6 months ago and got lower latency and cpu usage with the WDM, but I'll try again with my new hardware and see if I get different results.

Thanks for all the replies.

It would be a good idea to do some searching regarding which driver works best with your soundcard with Sonar. I used the WDM drivers with my ESI Waveterminal card as I had better performance the ASIO. My current EMU card works best with ASIO.

BTW, I had pops and clicks using ASIO with Kontakt Player 1.53 just as I had with the WDM drivers on my older system. All of my other VSTi work fine with multi-processor support enabled. Just Kontakt 1.53 appears to be incompatible with multi-processors. Kontakt 2.2.2 is working fine.

Jim

Go Back to forum