• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question On Celtic Wind

Question On Celtic Wind

I just recieved Anthology Celtic Wind. I absolutly love the flute patches, wow, the best I have heard as far as playability and sound, is superb, extremely pleased with it. I do have a question regarding first the highland pipe patch, it seems as if a few notes don't trigger anything mid scale, like I think it was B or somthing where nothing happened, then up to C it worked again. Is this common to this instrument? Also is there a way to just get the drone to sound on the Uileann pipe, or is it married with the high part always?

Great product, and for the group buy price, I am a happy camper, thank you.

Smile Re: Question On Celtic Wind

Hi guys! Thanks for those comments!!
    You are right, we recorded highland pipe and uilleann pipe in its original tone. Highland Pipe is Bb, so some notes like b are never played by it. Uilleann Pipe is in D.
    The drone has 3 modes. Latch: sounds when you play a note, Manual: sounds only if you play the drone key and off.
    BTW in the Bela D registered users forum you will find a chromatic highland pipe patch (and a free warhorn and more interesting things). In this new patch all keys sound within the original keyrange. We will do the same with the Uilleann Pipe soon.

Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Thumbs up Re: Question On Celtic Wind

Uilleann Pipe and Highland Pipe Chromatic Patch are now avaliable for download in Bela D forum.
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Re: Question On Celtic Wind

Thanks for the info and for the oustanding product!

Re: Question On Celtic Wind

Funny enough I was researching this just the other day.

The bagpipes are written as though they play in the key of A, except with a G natural instead of than G sharp -- so A "mixolydian". The chanter part has a limited range of G, A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G and A. This means a piper can effectively play tunes, in that range, in the keys of A mixolydian or in D -- as written, that is.

Just to make things a bit more complicated, the key signature is usually not marked on sheet music. So, as written, it misleadingly looks like A minor.

And then just to make things more complicated still, they are tuned more than a semitone higher than they're written. What's written as A mixolydian (with an unmarked C# and F#) comes out sounding slightly HIGHER than Bb mixolydian.

Just thought you'd all like to know that!

Go Back to forum