• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Topic: The Great Hall In Stirling Castle (jabb)

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member rayzalaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    910

    Wink The Great Hall In Stirling Castle (jabb)

    Hi everyone, here I present a dedication to the Great Hall in Stirling Castle which I can see from my studio window.
    I haven't decided yet whether to write lyrics for it.
    re-mix louder fiddle Sunday night

    Everything is JABB except the snare from GPO and fiddle from Solo Strad
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=5440586

    Ray (if I don't reply quickly it's because I'm off to Ireland for a few days)
    Last edited by rayzalaf; 06-17-2007 at 03:25 PM. Reason: louder fiddle

  2. #2

    Re: The Great Hall In Stirling Castle (jabb)

    Hi Ray -
    I don't know Stirling Castle but I do know Blair Castle (not TOO far away), so I'm imagining that as I listen. Great stuff - and a very memorable tune ! I can just see people arriving for an evening ball, the finery, the swirling dresses, tartan stoles and high heels (and the women look good too)...
    That solo Strad is a fine fiddle indeed. Could it perhaps be a bit further forward in the mix - especially when it takes over the melody ?
    Love those drums !
    All the best -

  3. #3
    Senior Member rayzalaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    910

    Re: The Great Hall In Stirling Castle (jabb)

    Viv,

    Thanks for listening and commenting. I've added a link to the castle.
    I've sent a copy of this to Tony to add a bango solo and maybe a penny whistle .
    By the way my avatar is me in front of Eton Hall on a visit to Windsor.
    I'm off to Belfast see you soon,

    Ray
    Last edited by rayzalaf; 06-11-2007 at 03:33 PM. Reason: link to the castle

  4. #4

    Re: The Great Hall In Stirling Castle (jabb)

    Wow--That's some view you have from your studio!

    And that's also some fine music you came up with in honor of the fine, old Great Hall. Does the community ever gather there for dances? If so, this number of yours should start off the next shindig.

    The Strad as fiddle sounds great. I can see why Viv may prefer it moved up front more, but it's working for me where it is, along side the rest of the band without insisting on center stage. You have it all mixed so the rhythm section is dominant, ala pop recordings, and that seems to work.

    I noticed you had to use the GPO snare since there doesn't seem to be a snare roll in JABB--That would have been a good addition to that library. At least you have it all at your disposal.

    Excellent quasi-live effect achieved in your arrangement and mixing. Thumbs up with my appreciation for this, Ray.

    AND, I'm looking forward to "...a bango solo..." that might be added. Nothin' like a good ol "banGo."

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)

  5. #5

    Re: The Great Hall In Stirling Castle (jabb)

    Very folksy piece Ray. I like the flavor and the mood you have set with this.

    Enjoy Ireland
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

    Rich

  6. #6

    Re: The Great Hall In Stirling Castle (jabb)

    Ray, this sure has a memorable melody (typical of folk songs). I like it very much. I think of the band playing in the great hall. Thanks for posting.
    -Jay

  7. #7

    Re: The Great Hall In Stirling Castle (jabb)

    Heh heh ... makes me think of the White Heather Club! Do they still show that one on TV? It's years since I lived in the UK.

  8. #8
    Senior Member rayzalaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    910

    Re: The Great Hall In Stirling Castle (jabb)

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Wow--That's some view you have from your studio!

    And that's also some fine music you came up with in honor of the fine, old Great Hall. Does the community ever gather there for dances? If so, this number of yours should start off the next shindig.

    The Strad as fiddle sounds great. I can see why Viv may prefer it moved up front more, but it's working for me where it is, along side the rest of the band without insisting on center stage. You have it all mixed so the rhythm section is dominant, ala pop recordings, and that seems to work.

    I noticed you had to use the GPO snare since there doesn't seem to be a snare roll in JABB--That would have been a good addition to that library. At least you have it all at your disposal.

    Excellent quasi-live effect achieved in your arrangement and mixing. Thumbs up with my appreciation for this, Ray.

    AND, I'm looking forward to "...a bango solo..." that might be added. Nothin' like a good ol "banGo."

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Randy,
    I'm glad to be back from flooded Northern Ireland. It rained day and night.
    Anyway thanks for reviewing my little Scots Waltz here. The Hall in question gets used for weddings etc. for those who can pay big bucks. Special events like Mel Gibson (William Wallace) Braveheart himself coming to visit. Good film pity it's Hollywood nonsense. Now, quasi-live effect! I don't believe you're nearly saying my Altiverb use is trying to sound life like. Randy find a darkened room you must have a headache. I'll have to speak to Tony about how he's doing with the banjo solo. Maybe next week I'll post the updated version.

    Cheers

    Ray

  9. #9
    Senior Member rayzalaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    910

    Re: The Great Hall In Stirling Castle (jabb)

    Quote Originally Posted by RichR
    Very folksy piece Ray. I like the flavor and the mood you have set with this.

    Enjoy Ireland
    Rich, thanks for dropping by,

    Perhaps I should write some lyrics and go 'round the local folk clubs.
    In my kilt . Not likely!!!!!

    Cheers

    Ray

  10. #10
    Senior Member rayzalaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    910

    Re: The Great Hall In Stirling Castle (jabb)

    Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01
    Ray, this sure has a memorable melody (typical of folk songs). I like it very much. I think of the band playing in the great hall. Thanks for posting.
    -Jay
    Thanks Jay, for the kind words here,

    Yes a little waltz just to warm up the crowd before moving on to the energetic stuff like the Dashing White Sergeant. I wonder if you know what I mean.

    Ray

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •