• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: CAPRICE, MEDITATION and CONFRONTATION

Share/Bookmark

CAPRICE, MEDITATION and CONFRONTATION

Second stage of trio for fluće, clarinet and bassoon.
    I followed suggestions for adapting the sounds and
    I think I partially succeded. I don't yet understand how to revise information in the various instruments.

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5440479&q=hi

Re: CAPRICE, MEDITATION and CONFRONTATION

Hi, Gary

This is wonderful. I'm looking again at your title and finding it so apropos. This was constantly captivating, taking me down little winding paths I very willingly traveled.

I admire this composition very much.

I know you've been having difficulties with reverb--I heard a touch of it on the clarinet! --What tech difficulties exactly are you talking about in this post? I'm sure other Finale users will gladly help.

Thanks!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thanks Randy,
    I was "wandering" along following Tom's advice and my Mac didn't quiće match what came up on with the post. The flute went nicely, but the clarinet didn't seem to respond. When I went ćo the bassoon and elevaćed it, I couldn't get back to ćhe clarinet. At this point as with all new matters with computers I will probably gradually understand each step of the way.
    In this work, it has some of the problems of my earlier works-too much happening-but it seems to fit ćogether.
    Gary

While listening I must admit I never heard such a nice combination of instruments playing together. Maybe there are some flaws in the rendering, but ignoring these the whole piece is just surprising me. Nice flow of harmonies!!!

Ended now..... great!

Raymond

Some CC#64 would help out a great deal on these I think...
    And some panning adjustments to make it sound like a small ensemble instead of part of an orchestra...

Anyway, not bad at all. I liked listening to it.

-Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Thank you Raymond,
    Although Clarinet & Tenor are my main instruments, I've really developed an appreciation of the sounds
    from the GPO flute. In this recording, the clarinet & bassoon are not what I would like....
    Gary

Thanks Chris,
    Where do you enter the CC64? (I am using Finale 07)
    When you're setting up the panning I understand that
    0 is stage left & the highest # is stage right.
    How many numbers would you use between each instrument? for example; 56 58 60 52.
    Gary

Not sure about how to control legato (64) in Finale (I only use Finale for scoring and do all my rendering with FL Studio) but it probably has something to do with either slurs or pedal markings.

As for the panning, I really have no idea. If someone posted a tutorial about different panning positions for different types of ensembles, I'd read it in a heartbeat since I find myself confused about that as well. Any suggestions anyone?

-Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

A worthwhile suite, Gary. And it sounds like you're
    starting to make some progress with the reverb.

I love the title (in the player)... CAPRICE, MEDITATION
    and IRRITATION
    , by the way.

On panning, Gary, there really are no hard-and-fast rules.
    Probably, I'd put the clarinet a bit to the right, the bassoon
    a little more to the right, the flute somewhat left. But this
    is a small ensemble, and just as they would not normally
    be widely separated on a real stage; so, too, in Finale,
    one would not put them too far apart. Trust your ears.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by garymosse
    Thanks Chris,
    Where do you enter the CC64? (I am using Finale 07)
    When you're setting up the panning I understand that
    0 is stage left & the highest # is stage right.
    How many numbers would you use between each instrument? for example; 56 58 60 52.
    Gary
    I enjoyed this very much as well.... though "Irritation" wasn't the sense I got from the cute finale!

Gary, I'm curious about the effect the bassoon writing was giving... why it was so soft and "disjointed".

I also use only Finale, so if there's anything I can do to help you, I'm willing.
    • Which HP setting are you using?
    • Are you using plenty of slurs/tonguing? (smartshaps)
    • have you adjusted the volume to compensate for one instrument naturally sounding louder than the others in the samples? (I tend to lower the sound on clarinet solo because it's recorded a bit too loudly compared to the other woodwinds)
    • which Ambience reverb have you chosen?
    • I normally slide the "Dry" slider over to almost completely the right (it reads "4.5 dB")
    have you tried any of the other bassoon samples instead?
    my impression is that the bassoon is too "dry" (ie: staccato) and isn't getting the chance to "sing". Which is a shame, because the GPO bassoon samples are really beautiful.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast