• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: JABB No Sound Troubles

Share/Bookmark

Angry JABB No Sound Troubles

Hi everybody, new user here. Just got JABB, read all about the mod wheel (CC1), I'm using Sonar 5 Producer, set the project option to not zero out controllers, added mod wheel events to an alto sax track in MIDI and I still get no sound.

I loaded one of the demo MIDIs with a clarinet and it works fine. I compared the events between the two tracks and tried to make them the same, however there are many more mod wheel events in the clarinet track.

I need to use existing tracks (previously sequenced) and modify them so they work with JABB. Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong? This is very frustrating, I see a lot of posts on this, however what works for everyone else does not seem to solve my problem.

Thanks, Krel

Re: JABB No Sound Troubles

You can try converting CC7 info to CC1 from your original MIDI tracks. I would recommend recording new CC1 info though to get more realistic response from the instruments. You will also want to add other controllers such as the ones to add vibrato and vary the vibrato speeds.

Jim

Jim, thanks. So much of this is new to me, how do I convert controller info in Sonar? Also, is it possible to record the controller info without destroying the original notes and how would I do that?

I can't resequence the tracks.

Thanks, Krel

Hi, Krel

"...I convert controller info in Sonar? Also, is it possible to record the controller info without destroying the original notes and how would I do that? I can't resequence the tracks..."

Haydn's suggestion to not convert the info but put in new cc1 data is the best recommendation, as he said.

Yes, you can record new controller info without destroying the notes themselves because those are two completely different parts of the MIDI data.

You have quite a fancy program there in Sonar 5 Producer--! It has all you need Then some--more than you need actually.

From the View tab ask to see the Piano Roll View of your track. There you'll see the notes displayed in the upper window, and in the lower window you can select via the menu which controller you want to see and edit. Choose cc7, volume, and erase all of it with the eraser tool.

Now you can record new cc1 (modulation wheel) info via a keyboard, or by drawing it in with the pencil tool. In the menu, you simply ask to see the cc1 view. I know you're not sure what the results will be--Just start playing with it, and you'll get a feel of how you're controlling the volume depending on how high and low your hills of data are in that controller window.

You said you can't re-sequence the tracks--well, actually you can, either by a keyboard or hand inserting notes--I have the feeling you don't have a keyboard and that's why you said that. But fine--For now you want to play with MIDI files you've imported apparently, and that'll work.

This should get you started!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thumbs up Re: JABB No Sound Troubles

Thanks I'll try your suggestion. That's kind of what I was doing but I still don't get any sound. Perhaps there needs to be more events of the mod data. I didn't erase the CC7 data, perhaps that is required.

I stated I couldn't resequence the tracks not because it is technically impossible but because I have 40-60 songs each with multiple tracks and it's just not practical. My goal is to use JABB with already-sequenced tracks (for now). Later I plan to expand and use JABB to it's full potential and create my own sequences.

Thanks, Krel

Hello again, Krel

"...Thanks I'll try your suggestion. That's kind of what I was doing but I still don't get any sound. Perhaps there needs to be more events of the mod data..."

Well then another issue is involved if you're still getting no sound. It's not a matter of needing more cc1 data--you could have the barest minimum of mod wheel data in the project and you'd hear the instrument. More would make no difference.

Since you don't need the cc7 data, you really should erase it.

In Sonar you have the project option turned off to zero controllers--that's good, since that's a common error that causes people to not hear anything.

It has to be an audio routing issue. When you set your project up with these imported MIDI tracks, you are ending up with TWO tracks for each instrument, right? One MIDI track and an audio (VSTi) track through which the instrument plays? And each instrument has its own MIDI channel and separate track?

By the way, I hope you understand that to make those imported MIDI tracks sound acceptable, you'll need to do MASSive amounts of MIDI controller editing on them in order for them to sound right in JABB. It's very do-able, just very time consuming, so once you're set up with things working, be prepared to roll up your sleeves and dig in for a big chunk of work!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Yes, I'm using other virtual instruments and understand that the MIDI track has to be routed to an audio track for output. Within the same project I imported a demo MIDI track of a clarinet from this site, routed it to JABB, and it works fine. I'm concluding that the problem has to do with MIDI data in my track, perhaps controller.

I know that this will not result in the best use of JABB, but I figure the quality of the sounds will be better than my sound card.

Thanks Krel

Hello again, Krel

Under "View" in Sonar, ask to see the Event List for a track. Every scrap of MIDI data which is there will be displayed sequentially. Look around at the menu choices--you'll soon see how it's laid out, and you may uncover data which is messing up your play back.

It's possible from that window to discover an onslaught of unneeded controller messages--you make a note of what controller # it is, then in the Piano Roll View, ask for that controller to be displayed, and with one fell swoop of the eraser you can take it all out.

If you find just a few events that need to be deleted or edited, that can be done precisely there in the Event List.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

You can convert the CC7 data to CC1 by using the Interpolate command. The interpolate command can be quite confusing though. First highlight the tracks you want to change, the click Edit, Interpolate. The first window is the date you want to change. So you need to clear any selections and then choose CC7. Then set the minimum value to 0 and max to 127. Click OK to go to the 2nd window which you'll set to CC1 with a minumum value of 0 and max of 127. The click OK for it to make the changes. Check your data at this point to make sure you did it properly.

Someone posted a utility on the forum awhile ago that can change the data also but I don't remember what it was called.

Jim

Thumbs up Re: JABB No Sound Troubles

Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions. I belong to a few other forums and this one is great. I will be visiting often.

Just to let you know, I did solve my problem, however it was none of the things suggested. It turned out that the Kontact player would load the instrument into a bank and assign it a default channel, which may or may not be the one your instrument is on. In looking at the mod wheel issue it was easy to overlook that I simply had the wrong channel setting in the Kontact player. While this may seem obvious, I was looking for a more technical problem. I did find that all you need on a track is a single mod wheel event to get sound going.

The sounds I'm now getting are great even though I'm not using them to their full potential. I now have a clear path to replace sounds in existing tracks using JABB without having to resequence them. Based on my experience so far, I'm very pleased with JABB!

Thanks Again,

Krel

Go Back to forum