• Register
  • Help

Topic: upgrading a PC's CPU?

Share/Bookmark

upgrading a PC's CPU?

h'lo Windows-type folk,
    A Mac guy here, who also runs GS3 on a (custom built) PC. Not a GS question, exactly, but related to the machine that runs it...
    My motherboard has a P4 1.6Ghz processor. The mfr. (Soyo) says that the max it will take is a 2.4 Ghz P4. If I get that new processor, is it really as simple as shutting down the machine, pulling out the current P4, plugging in the new P4, and reboot the machine? Windows XP will "recognize" the new P4 and make necessary adjustments for it?
    many thanks,
    b myers, composer
    Mac G5 DP 2.3, Os 10.4.11, 4 Gig RAM running DigiPerf 5.13, PTools LE 7.4, Sibelius 5, Finale 2008,
    P4 1.7 Gig, XP SP2, 2 Gig RAM,running GigaStudio 3.2,
    3 x 20" LCDs, 2 x MOTU MTP AVs, Digi 002r
    Kurz K2000r, Roland XV-3080, Emu Pro II, Kurz PC2r, Alesis DM-Pro, Kurz Midiboard

Re: upgrading a PC's CPU?

IMC I had to re-install windows;

Before you do anything, backup all your data and settings especially what is in the documents and settings folder to somewhere else and not in the that folder BTW.
    GIGA ORCHESTRA 3.21
    DAW ONE: CPU: 3.4GHz; RAM: 2 GIGS DDR400; Mobo P4 GIGABYTE ;80GIG IDE HD;2 X WD SATA HD Raptors 10KRPM 74GIG in RAID 0;
    M Audio Firewire 410; Midisport 8X8

Hauptwerk V3
    DAW TWO: CPU: 2.4 GHz Dual Core; RAM 4 gigs DDR2533: MOBO Asrock ConRoeFirex - eSATA2; 2 x SATA 80 GIG, HDs; M Audio Delta 1010 and a Delta 1010LT, soundcards; MOTU Express 128 i/f

Hello,
    Two things.
    1) In theory, that upgrade should be trouble free, but I would definitely make the backups OWJ recommended because your mileage may vary.

2) One specific problem you probably will have: Windows may complain because of the hardware change and have to be re-authorized. This isn't a huge deal, but make sure you're ready with the serial number and prepared to contact Microsoft if necessary.

I swapped out my CPU, Mobo from AMD to an Intel C2D.
    I did an acronis true image that I was going to use to do an install.
    But when I booted I missed the F2 to jump into the bios. Windows asked for the Xp sp2 Cd which I poped in and it repaired itself boom.
    I didn't have Gs3 installed on my old build so I don't know if it helped. But Sonar 6 and most of my plugs were working. A couple needed reauthorized.
    Done
    Everyone suggests a windows reinstall, which will eliminate any instability.
    If you can I would reinstall just in case
    Later

h'lo all,
    thanks very much for your replies. being a Mac guy, I think...rather than mess with a currently-functioning PC..I'll leave that machine as-is and continue happily running GS3.
    OTOH, iff I just did a RAM upgrade (1G ->2G), might I still be facing a system re-install (the part I'm dreading)?

thanks again,

bill
    Mac G5 DP 2.3, Os 10.4.11, 4 Gig RAM running DigiPerf 5.13, PTools LE 7.4, Sibelius 5, Finale 2008,
    P4 1.7 Gig, XP SP2, 2 Gig RAM,running GigaStudio 3.2,
    3 x 20" LCDs, 2 x MOTU MTP AVs, Digi 002r
    Kurz K2000r, Roland XV-3080, Emu Pro II, Kurz PC2r, Alesis DM-Pro, Kurz Midiboard

Quote Originally Posted by williemyers
    h'
    OTOH, iff I just did a RAM upgrade (1G ->2G), might I still be facing a system re-install (the part I'm dreading)?
    Bill,
    I've done lots of RAM swapping, and the only times it caused trouble was when the system didn't like the RAM. Backing up important files should be done anyway, but IMO, you're pretty safe with this mod.

Good luck,
    Belbin

Make sure the speed of the RAM matches (identical sticks are best), and you shouldn't have any problem.
    Really, though, the CPU upgrade shouldn't necessitate a reinstall either. Maybe a couple reauthorizations, but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by williemyers
    h'lo Windows-type folk,
    A Mac guy here, who also runs GS3 on a (custom built) PC. Not a GS question, exactly, but related to the machine that runs it...
    My motherboard has a P4 1.6Ghz processor. The mfr. (Soyo) says that the max it will take is a 2.4 Ghz P4. If I get that new processor, is it really as simple as shutting down the machine, pulling out the current P4, plugging in the new P4, and reboot the machine? Windows XP will "recognize" the new P4 and make necessary adjustments for it?
    many thanks,
    b myers, composer
    I've never had to do a reinstall changing the processor. I would probably do a repair install if I changed from a P4 to a Core 2.

If I were to go from AMD to Pentium. I would start with a new installation. I've found it's a better idea to start fresh when changing manufacturers of chipset.

Basically if I replaced a board that was VIA to Nforce-new install.
    Via board to Via board-repair installation.

Go Back to forum