• Register
  • Help

Topic: Percussion Issues in GPO K2?

Share/Bookmark

Percussion Issues in GPO K2?

I recall some discussion that there were minor issues with the K2 player version of GPO that primarily effected percussion instruments. I had found reference to there being an issue, but was unable to find an explanation of the problem or limitations. Can anyone explain what's up and/or workarounds? I'm weighing bringing things over to an intel-based Mac, so the only workaround I previously recall seeing discussed (use the original GPO) is not an option.

Or has a fix already been offered? Or on the horizon?

Many thanks,

Paul

Re: Percussion Issues in GPO K2?

i think, and this is an i think, but - there was an issue with K2 player and velocity playback and it was fixed in the newest update. i might be a total moron and be totally wrong, but thats all i know. i have an intel mac and it works perfectly. there were troubles earlier on, but the new update cleared everything up, so you should be good to go. if all else fails give gary a call and he'll answer any questions. hope this helped.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

I'm also only thinking....

But I recall it was with the timpani stuff (and a clarinet loop issue??)
    Not sure about the clarinet, but as Keith was reporting in MacWorld, the timpani seems to respond to velocity now just fine (On a PC here).

keithjfuller and Reegs, thanks for your replies.

I should have done more homework before my original post...

The issue was apparently still present in the official, "blessed" K2 update made available on 5/22. Has there been an update since then? I don't see one at NI.

Tom Hopkins explains the following in the thread "Official KP2 release announcement for GPO and JABB" (http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/....php?t=53767):

"One issue that has just been brought to our attention involves unexpected changes in the way Kontakt 2 handles dynamic EQ in velocity=volume instruments – mainly percussion. We'll try to fix this soon but we certainly didn't want to delay things further because of it and, also, users can apply compensatory external EQ if they wish to counter this issue in specific instruments."

Can anyone explain this as if they were talking to a simpleton such as myself? Does this mean the EQ curve in some instruments used to change relative to how hard the notes were hit, but now they don't?

Many thanks,

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paulumos

The issue was apparently still present in the official, "blessed" K2 update made available on 5/22. Has there been an update since then? I don't see one at NI.

Tom Hopkins explains the following in the thread "Official KP2 release announcement for GPO and JABB" (http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53767):

"One issue that has just been brought to our attention involves unexpected changes in the way Kontakt 2 handles dynamic EQ in velocity=volume instruments – mainly percussion. We'll try to fix this soon but we certainly didn't want to delay things further because of it and, also, users can apply compensatory external EQ if they wish to counter this issue in specific instruments."
    The percussion issue has not been fixed and you are correct in that this issue is present in the official KP2 release. I am unaware of any further update since this.

I'm using a PC so I don't know how this fares on a Mac.

An example of the problem is that when trying to play a timp roll it sounds like a machine gun firing instead of sounding like a smooth roll.

Presently there are two workarounds; one is to use the KP1 for your percussion, the other is to use EQ for each individual percussion track. You say the first option is out for you so until Tom fixes the problem it seems your only option is to apply EQ your pecussion tracks and to experiment until you find the best result for you.

Personally I use KP1 for my percussion and it works beautifully.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk
    The percussion issue has not been fixed and you are correct in that this issue is present in the official KP2 release...
    Thanks for the response and explanation. Much appreciated.

Paul

Go Back to forum