• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Is it time for a new GPO Compostion Contest?

Share/Bookmark

Is it time for a new GPO Compostion Contest?

Hey everyone,

I just have a quick question. Does anyone else think that it's almost time for the second GPO Composition Contest? I was just thinking about it and about all of the great music that everyone produced the last time. I realized that we have a whole new generation of users now. It may be about time.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Jonny

By the way, Gary has nothing to do with this thread, it's just me thinking out loud. So don't you all go pestering' him!!!!
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: Is it time for a new GPO Compostion Contest?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Lost
    Hey everyone,

I just have a quick question. Does anyone else think that it's almost time for the second GPO Composition Contest? I was just thinking about it and about all of the great music that everyone produced the last time. I realized that we have a whole new generation of users now. It may be about time.

Jonny

By the way, Gary has nothing to do with this thread, it's just me thinking out loud. So don't you all go pestering' him!!!!
    I asked this awhile back - maybe in a chat - but without much fanfare. I think it's a good idea. I just wonder who's going to find an orchestra to perform the winning compositions.

I don't know, but it's something to think about. Maybe there can be different prizes instead of a costly concert (although that incentive worked well last time around.) I have no idea. Anyone have any thoughts? Maybe Gary has some ideas.

Jonny

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Lost
    Hey everyone,

Jonny
    Perhaps we should wait a bit longer until the toolsets stabilize a bit- Sib. 5 shipping, Finale 2007 HP updated, Garritan CMB released, etc.

Keith W.

I agree it would be a good thing. Maybe in the fall after everyone is done with Chrismas music submittals would be good time for it to start, and everything would surely be stable by then... even Styxx.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithW
    Perhaps we should wait a bit longer until the toolsets stabilize a bit- Sib. 5 shipping, Finale 2007 HP updated, Garritan CMB released, etc.

Keith W.
    This is the music software industry. It's never stable. Plus, didn't you see Gary's post... there are tumultuous trends afoot.

Hey guys,

Why wait until everythings stable? I think that adverse conditions usaually produce the best results. At least with me, it does!!

Jonny

Jonny,

Glad you brought this up. The last GPO Orchestration Competition was so enjoyable and worthwhile and we need to do another. I wanted the new Competition to come after some new libraries were available so there would be more tools.

But unforseen things intervened. The delayed player, the updates, bugs, new alliances, new libraries, etc. are taking longer than we ever imagined.

Unstable and difficult times are often a good time to do daring things. It often propels us to new heights.

Thanks for asking Jonny and giving us a new spark. I would very much like to see a new competition and will endaevor to make that happen.

My best,

Gary Garritan

Well now this is just excellent to see you open to the idea of thinking in this direction, Gary.

Really--despite things being in flux, everyone's still able to produce music with the tools they've had up to this point. Those of us still a bit trepidatous to install KP2, for instance, are still able to work as we have before. So it's not as if interested parties couldn't produce acceptable pieces for a new composition.

As nice as great software is, the core of good music is the way someone has put it together, and that isn't dependant on having a massive amount of software--it's only dependant on the creativity and vision of the composer.

I look forward to seeing this all develop!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi, may I re-open this topic? I'm really interested in this composition contest; is there anything new about it? I mean, I understand the point of waiting until some new libraries are ready, but then again, I must agree with rbowser--- while we would really be happy about having more instruments, we can still create music with what we've got... which already sounds great!

So, now that my point has been said, any news about this issue?

Go Back to forum