• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Garritan & Sibelius

Share/Bookmark

Garritan & Sibelius

Hi everyone.

I've been a Sibelius user for several years and am thinking about buying one or more of the Garritan packages when I upgrade to Sib 5 next month. Sib is great but its sounds aren't exactly brilliant so the main reason I want Garritan is simply to get more realistic sounds when I play my stuff back.

I have two main questions:
    1) How easy/difficult is it to incorporate Garritan with Sibelius?
    2) Would the problems be doubled if I bought 2 different Garritan sounds?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated, be it positive or negative.

Many thanks

Re: Garritan & Sibelius

Patsy,

Good morning. (It's morning in Ohio, at least! )

Hello and welcome to the forum. You have stumbled onto one of the most brilliant locations on the internet (in my opinion). Here, you will find some of the most talented and helpful people you will ever meet. I hope that you enjoy yourself here and post often.

Now to your questions. From what I've heard of Sibelius 5 from their website, all of their playback sounds are going to be loaded using the new Kontakt 2 Sample Player. GPO, JABB, the Strad and Gorfello all use this player. So, in essence, all you will need to do is install them all and have at it.

The folks at Sibelius claim that you can use any VST plugins and effects with their new setup, so it should be a piece of cake.

I hope I've helped with your concerns. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance to you. Once again, Welcome and I hope you enjoy yourself here.

Have a nice day.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Hi Patsy,

I'm actually a Finale 2007 + GPO + JABB user, wondering about a switch to Sibelius 5. I downloaded the Sib 5 demo and it does indeed seem to work well with GPO, JABB and the Kontakt 2 Player. I'm not very experienced with Sibelius though so others might be able to advise better.

Chris

Firstly, the sounds from Sib3 & Sib4 are gone. Sib5 comes a whole bunch new new sounds built in. Many of these are various sounds from Garritan libraries. Secondly, Sib5 supports VST now (and AU on Mac). The demo of Sib5 already has sounds sets for the full versions of GPO, JABB and CMB, so these will work seemlessly out of the box. Sibelius and Garritan obviously worked very closely together on Sib5. As a side note, the new audio engine in Sib5 comes from Plogue who is also doing Garritan's new sampler.

I'm curious, does anyone have a sample they could post of Sibelius' new "choral" sounds?

Their website seems to have a paucity of audio samples.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    I'm curious, does anyone have a sample they could post of Sibelius' new "choral" sounds?

Their website seems to have a paucity of audio samples.

Michel,

They have stated that they will have audio samples soon. I, too am very curious about the choral sounds. And, I might add, the World music, as well.

They use to have a lot of audio samples when Sib 4 was on the market. I suspect they are re-doing all of them to show the new sounds and possiblities.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Ron, I would much rather have a brief sample done by someone here on this forum and not tweaked to death by Sibelius' technicians.

I've heard some previous Sibelius samples, and they were gorgeous, only to find out later that they had been massively post-tweaked in a process most ordinary Sibelius users would not have access to.

Ron, I would much rather have a brief sample done by someone here on this forum and not tweaked to death by Sibelius' technicians.

I've heard some previous Sibelius samples, and they were gorgeous, only to find out later that they had been massively post-tweaked in a process most ordinary Sibelius users would not have access to.
    I don't think those soundsets will be available until the product is released at the end of the month. So it should be early July before any user demos.

Hello Patsy,

We've designed the sound library support in Sibelius 5 to be as flexible as possible. It's a straightforward process to set up playback configurations with several different devices (Midi, Kontakt 2 libraries, other VST instruments - if you need to, you can havemultiple instances of the same device in your config) and have Sibelius use sounds from all of them when it plays back your score. You can have as many of these configurations as you like.

Best regards,

David

Quote Originally Posted by Patsy
    Hi everyone.

I've been a Sibelius user for several years and am thinking about buying one or more of the Garritan packages when I upgrade to Sib 5 next month. Sib is great but its sounds aren't exactly brilliant so the main reason I want Garritan is simply to get more realistic sounds when I play my stuff back.

I have two main questions:
    1) How easy/difficult is it to incorporate Garritan with Sibelius?
    2) Would the problems be doubled if I bought 2 different Garritan sounds?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated, be it positive or negative.

Many thanks

Hi Michel,

>> I've heard some previous Sibelius samples, and they were gorgeous

The compliment is appreciated :-) The way the scores for the GPO Sibelius Edition audio samples were prepared is neither secret nor particularly arcane, and is described here

http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/help...O&name=#332405

I don't think there's anything here that's not accessible to "ordinary Sibelius users", certainly not those who are interested in getting the best out of playback. And in particular - no audio post-processing was involved: what you hear came straight off Sibelius playback. No "massive post-tweaking" was done.

Many contributors here have made demos just as (indeed more) impressive!

Best,

David

Go Back to forum