• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to go from midi piano score to notated piano?

Share/Bookmark

How to go from midi piano score to notated piano?

Hello,

What is the best way to approach transferring a midi score of a piano to Finale/Sibelius notated score? I find this process extremely time consuming and prone to errors since just importing the MIDI into a notation program is useless due to the pedaling, right/left hand impracticalities, etc.

I'm curious how others approach this. Is there a program that does a good job of importing piano midi into a piano score correctly understanding pedal note duration versus midi note duration, left right hand practicalities, etc. or at the very least a smarter way of approaching this frustrating task.

Thanks.
    K

Re: How to go from midi piano score to notated piano?

Quote Originally Posted by karelm
    Hello,

What is the best way to approach transferring a midi score of a piano to Finale/Sibelius notated score? I find this process extremely time consuming and prone to errors since just importing the MIDI into a notation program is useless due to the pedaling, right/left hand impracticalities, etc.

I'm curious how others approach this. Is there a program that does a good job of importing piano midi into a piano score correctly understanding pedal note duration versus midi note duration, left right hand practicalities, etc. or at the very least a smarter way of approaching this frustrating task.

Thanks.
    K
    Perhaps surprisingly Logic Pro 7's score does a pretty good job of this.
    You choose a 2 voice score style i.e. Piano 1/3 and simply draw in which notes are left/right with the Voice Separation Tool. Or you shift rubberband over the notes you want in the left hand and in the Event List assign them to the internal midi channel 3.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

I don't have a midi controller, so I actually don't know really...

But I would suspect that the best way to taccle it would be to go in you sequencer, in the piano roll, and delete all pedal points (or don't use them in the first place, while playing), or if the lengths are longer, just shorten them in the piano roll, again.

Other wise I've always transcribed the piano playing by hand, myself...

As on the left-right hand, again on the sequencer, maybe copy and paste a 2nd midi track, identical and start deleting the notes here and there. Then change instrument in the 2nd track (so that it's not the same as the 1st one), and export midi...

don't know what else, and by all means, remember that I don't have a midi controller at home, so I have no practical idea on that really. Just some things that poped to mind.

The hardware way to get what you want, a perfect separation between right-left hand notation is to play on two diffrent keyboard controllers, each one on a diffrent midi channel, and recording them in diffrent tracks.
    Marcelo Colina

Quote Originally Posted by karelm
    Hello,

Thanks.
    K
    The biggest question is was the piece recorded to click or not. If not, then you only feasible way of doing it quickly is in Cubase/Nuendo or DP as you can freely drag the barlines around to create bars before you save to MIDI in these programs. If you have recorded to click, then you need to quantise all notes, make sure all the lengths are correct (not just in the score view of your sequencer) before you do the export. It is much easier to fix all the things that you mention in a sequencer than in either Finale or Sibelius, so it pays to spend the time cleaning up the piece before export.

D

Go Back to forum