• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: VSL Cornet demo-- Bizet's Chanson du Toreador

Share/Bookmark

VSL Cornet demo-- Bizet's Chanson du Toreador

Here is a demo of the new cornet from VSL Special Brass VI--Bizet's Chanson du Toreador from his Carmen Suite #2.

http://www.vsl.co.at/Player2.aspx?Lang=13&DemoId=5043

Best,
    Jay

Re: VSL Cornet demo-- Bizet's Chanson du Toreador

Firstmost: Welcome Jay! I've missed you

Secondmost: I know nothing of the cornet (I know what it is, but almost nothing for the sound)

Now, I find the rendering very satisfactory, except for the cornet, to be honest. I don't know if it's the sampling, the rendering or the mixing, but somehow it just doesn't stick. Regarding mixing, I find it to be lacking deapth and reverb a little bit (not tail, but... to be more in the mix)...

The rest of the orchestra is quite lovely indeed!

That's all for me I think...

Still I am reasking one more time, to see you as a composer, and not only as a performer.

Regards,

Nikolas

Jay, Take no offense to this:

Of all of the VSL Demos posted, I liked yours the best.

<rant (again) >
    That said, The power Trumpets REALLY disappointed me.

Seriously, is no one listening to reason? What is the point of sampling 6 players in unison? Who seriously plays 4-6 trumpet players in unison? Theres a reason behind multiple part harmonies.

SAMPLE DEVELOPERS HEAR THIS

Please, PLEASE. Sample FOUR SEPARATE SOLO Trumpets. If we want unison, we can do it. Unison samples don't cut it. Two notes played Divisi, with 6 players should equal 3 and 3, not 12.

The benefit of being able to manipulate each player is key. This is why I find myself using Westgate's Horns over VSL's Epic horns time and time again. Tim, hear this. Please do it right.

Severely disappointed by these demos.
    </rant>

Jay, your Cornet, OTOH, is Perfect. Great job!
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Quote Originally Posted by FireGS
    SAMPLE DEVELOPERS HEAR THIS
    Seconded!! Orchestral parts rarely have all three or four players on the same note!! Having three parts of six trumpets each would give you 18 players! (Yes, there is a version of the Hoffnung Fanfare for thirty-six trumpets but the poor viola players won't like anything close to that becoming standard orchestration)

Why does it seem like trumpets are the hardest things to sample? Perhaps I'm more critical of them being a trumpet player myself?

Anyways....

Hi Jay,

I like this Bizet demo. Your work with the slurring and grace notes on the cornet part is wonderful and a fantastic showcase of the instrument's capabilities. Stylistically the heavy vibrato and marcato playing fits very well. If anything I think the doubled octave parts are a little too well in tune! As Sam mentioned already, the mix and blend between sections is great. I agree with Nikolas on the reverb though; a little more hall depth would just be icing on the cake.

Best,

Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs
    Seconded!! Orchestral parts rarely have all three or four players on the same note!!

Why does it seem like trumpets are the hardest things to sample? Perhaps I'm more critical of them being a trumpet player myself?
    I should be a trumpet player. ROFL.
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Jay,

this work with the "post-horn" is excellent! You have done a great demo!

My best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Like every midi recording, including my own work (at least to me), much of it is so life like, yet there is always something that gives it away as midi.

To me, the Coronet sounded wonderful Jay!

I was waiting on every line to see if Jay would mess up and either create some unrealistic portamento, or none where there should be some. I find no fault in this Coronet.

I think it is important to remember that when Jay posts a work, it is usually demonstrating the usefulness of a particular instrument or group of instruments. I feel this is a case where Jay indeed did a really nice job on the backing VSL orchestra, but paid more attention to detail of the very instrument this post is about, the Coronet.

I love the string work at 1:40 wonderful Jay!
    I wish the player had a time display.

Great work Jay!

Dan

I think the solution is more in combining solo and small section, like 2 players. A sampled section gives you a sound that can't be reproduced with only layered solos, at least not that I've heard. VSL's large sections are only meant to be used sparingly for unison lines I'm sure. I wouldn't play chords with them either.
    Westgate Studios
    Sound Libraries for Gigastudio and Kontakt

SECONDED. Maybe 2 Solo trumpets.

4 would be ultimate. Two or one would still be better.

Just trying to do anything with specific 4 parts with large ensembles like that is murder. Try anything like Holst, Mussorgski. Not happening. John Williams? Forget it.
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Quote Originally Posted by timzydee
    I think the solution is more in combining solo and small section, like 2 players.
    That makes much more sense to me.

Go Back to forum