• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: A Brief Symphony - KOWALSKI (Luxembourg)

Share/Bookmark

A Brief Symphony - KOWALSKI (Luxembourg)

Finally, here is the complete work I had previously been calling "Luxembourg." The new movement is the first, and the complete score is now available for download. This is a short symphony in three movements for 14 players.

A Brief Symphony

pdf score (complete)

Movement I: Introduction - mp3
    Movement II: Intermezzo - mp3
    Movement III: Scherzo - mp3

Thank you for listening!
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: A Brief Symphony - KOWALSKI (Luxembourg)

Oo the whole piece. As with the second movement, it's very nice. Is there a back story to these movements?
    Ke Yang (OMG I'm using mah name)
    Insert Useless Advertisement Here

My Work List With GPO

Note: You might have noticed there's nothing there, yet. Massive editing going on.

Jamie:

Very well done. Excellent use of the piano in the Introduction. All movements are really great and keep the listener's attention. Your writing is really improving with every creative endeavor. Keep it up, you are headed for something big--I can tell.

I wish you well in the the contest and hope you win. It's hard getting the recognition you deserve, but it will come, Jamie.

BRAVO,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Jamie:

I listened to the entire symphony last night shortly after it was posted.

More later, but - what a wonderfully well integrated set of three movements. They belong together!

I'm looking forward to spending more time with the first movement (I've listened to the other two a number of times) and also to studying the score.

David Mauney

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    A Brief Symphony
    Normally I am not so very fond of those "modern" settings and harmonisation, but this piece kept my attention from the very first measure (bar) all the way to the last note of the third part.

It is so d....ed interesting, I haven't any words for it.
    Thank you for posting this,

Raymond

Hi, Skysaw - You may recall I've been avidly following the progress of your "brief symphony," and sending positive energy your way as the contest deadline rushed towards you.---That part's OK, yes?--you made it in time?

And now I've had a very exciting experience hearing the opening movement. Amazingly subtle in its taut dramatic tone, not heavy handed. Captivating.

On my List of Things To Do--listen again to all movements as a continuous piece. Looking forward to when I can do that.

Congratulations, and thanks!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by Tovan in Intermezzo thread
    Very nice thought provoking movement I like the melody GJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Tovan
    Oo the whole piece. As with the second movement, it's very nice. Is there a back story to these movements?
    Thank you for the warm response, Tovan.

There is no story with this music, it's just music I wrote given certain guidelines regarding instrumentation and length. I tend to work best with short sections, so I decided to break it up into three contrasting moods.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Jamie:

Very well done. Excellent use of the piano in the Introduction. All movements are really great and keep the listener's attention. Your writing is really improving with every creative endeavor. Keep it up, you are headed for something big--I can tell.
    Many thanks for the kind words, Jack. I appreciate the comments on my improving as well, highlighting for me what a good listener you've been to my posts.

The piano part may not be terribly exciting for the player in the first movement and is certainly non-idiomatic, but it's all about the final effect, I suppose. Luckily, there's a bit more material in the other two movements.

I certainly wouldn't mind something big, but I'll keep writing either way. Thanks for the well wishes.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Great work here Skysaw! Excellent rendering. As for the music itself, it gives me the same feeling I get when listening to Debussy - with harmonies that are completely different from what my very simple ear expects, yet work in the same way. I admit I liked the second and third movements best - I think because they both had solid rhythmic foundations and it was easier to appreciate the melody with a supporting structure underneath it. But I can also appreciate the first movement with its sparse style being an appropriate introduction to the rest of the song.

Incidentally, regarding your comments about the piano part... If it sounds good to the audience, then the question of how boring it is really belongs to the performer. It's not the composer's problem.

-Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

This is such a tangent from your wonderful musical post, Skysaw, but I HAd to get back on here to point out the HILARIOUS video clip Chris, Suspenlute nested into his reply--Should have all musicians rolling on the floor, this Pachelbel Rant--go to Chris's reply and click the words "to the performer."

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast