• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Finale

Share/Bookmark

Finale

Hi everyone,

I need to get information about Finale and would like to contact those who use it with GPO.
    Thanks.

Re: Finale

Quote Originally Posted by sunbird
    Hi everyone,

I need to get information about Finale and would like to contact those who use it with GPO.
    Thanks.
    If you have specific questions about Finale/GPO, just post here. There are a lot of knowledgeable and kind people to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by tfishbein82
    If you have specific questions about Finale/GPO, just post here. There are a lot of knowledgeable and kind people to help you out.
    Thanks, I'm sure there are.
    My dilemma is whether to buy Finale or Sibelius.
    I need a notation program that works best with GPO and produces sounds most near to a live performance.
    I would appreciate hearing about the pros and cons.

Can... open. Worms... everywhere!

I believe these programs are used by more or less an equal number of forum-goers in each camp. I don't know if anyone here is an expert in both of them, so you'll likely get many biased opinions. Personally, I use Sibelius and love it. I can't wait for version 5 coming out in a couple of weeks.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    Can... open. Worms... everywhere!

I believe these programs are used by more or less an equal number of forum-goers in each camp. I don't know if anyone here is an expert in both of them, so you'll likely get many biased opinions. Personally, I use Sibelius and love it. I can't wait for version 5 coming out in a couple of weeks.
    I think both programs are pretty comparable. If you're trying to decide between them, download each demo and get a little feel for what you like in each, and what you dislike. You can do pretty much the same in each of them - it just might be done with different mouse clicks or through a different feature. And both will give you decent performance with GPO (but neither as nice as sequencer output). I think it's totally about which is easier for you to work with.

Personally, I use Sibelius and love it. I can't wait for version 5 coming out in a couple of weeks.

Hi Skysaw, thanks for posting an answer.
    Are you able to use GPO to its fullest potential without any problem?

Quote Originally Posted by tfishbein82
    I think both programs are pretty comparable. If you're trying to decide between them, download each demo and get a little feel for what you like in each, and what you dislike. You can do pretty much the same in each of them - it just might be done with different mouse clicks or through a different feature. And both will give you decent performance with GPO (but neither as nice as sequencer output). I think it's totally about which is easier for you to work with.
    Thanks for your answer. The thing is I worked so far only with notation programs and I don't know anything about a sequencer.
    Do you mean a computer program or an actual tool?
    How does one work with a sequencer?

Quote Originally Posted by sunbird
    Thanks for your answer. The thing is I worked so far only with notation programs and I don't know anything about a sequencer.
    Do you mean a computer program or an actual tool?
    How does one work with a sequencer?
    I'm a Finale 2007 user very much looking forward to announcements on what goodies await 2008. I think Finale is wonderful.

By sequencers, I think people generally mean software sequencers as in Cakewalk Sonar and Steinberg Cubase. I chose Sonar and think this is fantastic.

I prepare my scores in Finale then save these as MIDI files to open in Sonar. I then mix and master in Sonar until I have them as near as possible to what I want .. or should I say as near as I can manage as I'm still learning and have a long way to go. Some members of our community produce their works entirely in Finale however.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk
    I'm a Finale 2007 user very much looking forward to announcements on what goodies await 2008. I think Finale is wonderful.

By sequencers, I think people generally mean software sequencers as in Cakewalk Sonar and Steinberg Cubase. I chose Sonar and think this is fantastic.

I prepare my scores in Finale then save these as MIDI files to open in Sonar. I then mix and master in Sonar until I have them as near as possible to what I want .. or should I say as near as I can manage as I'm still learning and have a long way to go. Some members of our community produce their works entirely in Finale however.
    Michael, thanks for your feedback. I see that you are using Finale for a long time already. What I need to know more is which actions can you do in Sonar that you can't do in Finale?
    And another thing, as I have no experience with sequencers, I need to ease my way into this field. Do you know of any freeware that could teach me the very basics easily?

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    OK... worms worms worms. While I guess you could get a similar result with Sibeleius, Finale has Human Playback, so not only does it read ALL the articulation markings and dynamic markings, it adds it's own expressive playing to phrases and notes. So if you have a long held note and pick the romantic style, it's gonna give a slight cres and decres to that note. I have yet to hear any mockup straight out of sibelius that comes even close to what I get straight out of Finale. And I do can't wait to see what Finale 08 is gonna bring, the press should be out on that any day now since they usually try to have it shipped before school starts in the fall.

Now I do also usually export to a sequencer (Sonar6 PE), but the only things I do there are audio based. I don't think E've ever had to do any MIDI editing.

Tom
    Tom, thanks for the information. My next question is which audio based actions do you do with your sonar that you can't do with Finale?

Go Back to forum