• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anthemn Vol.2 - Rule Britannia (again)

Share/Bookmark

Anthemn Vol.2 - Rule Britannia (again)

Hi folks,

these are rrrrooaarring drums!! A little more majestic and driving, this is a new mixdown of "Rule Britannia" with some drums and cymbals added. Also I changed some of the general settings concerning the single instruments.

http://www.royalentertainment.de/Songs/rule2.mp3

Hey, can I run GPO with more than 16 MIDI tracks? The counter stops at 16... Any chance?

Thanks for your comments!

Yours
    Ray
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    ...life is for living and living is free!

Re: Anthemn Vol.2 - Rule Britannia (again)

Hi Ray,

that`s cool man!

Can you make another mix where the trumpets are not soooo loud?
    Here they are very much louder than all the other instruments.... .

If you use the older GPO then open a second Player for more than 16 midichannels... .

Best

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    Can you make another mix where the trumpets are not soooo loud?
    it's a fanfare! Brasses have to be loud here ;-)
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    ...life is for living and living is free!

Quote Originally Posted by RayWindsor
    it's a fanfare! Brasses have to be loud here ;-)
    Smile,

then you must use pianissiomo sounds from the other instruments. Or how can a fanfarist play soooo much louder than all the others???

Hello again, Ray!

Great to see you back so soon with your new mix.

This is indeed bigger and more majestic. The drums may seem roaaaaring to you, I feel they're stronger but can still be bigger! They growl a little, but don't ROAR! The snare drums at least. The other percussion is probably at a good leve.

I want you to take a listen to something of mine recently posted. It's a montage of the music in Act Two of "H.H.S. Pinafore," the famous British operetta by Gilbert and Sullivan. I've recorded the whole score and put this together as a brief way to share the work with The Listening Room.

http://www.box.net/shared/mfulgs42j6

At about 3:30 into this MP3 you'll hear "He Is An Englishman" which is very much of the same genre as "Rule Britannia." This has the orchestral bass drum, tympani, cymbals, and multiple instances of snare drums as I described to you on your previous thread.

And this Does have a cannon at the end--hehe--Someone was joking about using everything but a cannon--well, I Did use one--so watch out for your speakers at the very end!

But you'll hear that I have the snares mixed louder, and with a group of them playing at once, you get that bigger sound of a drum corps.

To other matters, it sounds like you have a touch more harmony in this version, but especially at the end of phrases, I really miss you not going into a big, fat spread out chord. The piece would sound even More majestic with stronger harmony--the supporting lines that you Do have in this are too soft in comparison with the melody.

Listen to the nice counter-melody/harmony in that section of the above MP3. It moves against the melody so nicely and gives it a distinctly British grandeur.

And as for your question--Good heavens yes you can have more than 16 MIDI channels. Those days of having to be stuck with only 16 channels are long gone.

Each instance of GPO which you call up is a self contained grid of channels--with a potential of all of the channels, 1 through 16. When you put the next instance of GPO in your project, its group of the 16 MIDI channels are independent of the first GPO player. And so on--as much as your computer can handle. Do you see? MIDI channel One on your first Kontact Player is not the same channel as MIDI channel One on your second Kontact Player--and so forth.

I push things beyond the limits of my CPU--I simply have to render some tracks to audio to free up resources, then I can keep building. But I routinely use 64 MIDI channels, and sometimes more.

Hope the Gilbert and Sullivan track gives you some courage to get even BOLder!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Yes Randy, this yours music is a good example for a good mix for this style!

Hi Ray,

Just posted to the earlier version. I either missed or misread
    the intent of this being a fanfare; which rather alters the
    viewpoint... especially my earlier comment about percussion.

Nice work on this, though I still might give the upper brass
    a little more kick with some added harmonic work; and bring
    up the lower lines to provide more foundation to the work.

And hey, maybe some real whallops on the bass drum down
    the bottom there; not too many, just a few... rofl.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hello again, Ray

How's the project going? As I understand it, this project of doing "Britannia" is a warm up for the sporting event anthem you are to produce for later in the year.

I'm wondering if you've licked the mystery of using more than one set of 16 MIDI channels. I have the feeling you just weren't directing the output of your MIDI tracks to more than one instance of Kontact.

Let us know how you're doing.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by RayWindsor
    Hi folks,

these are rrrrooaarring drums!! A little more majestic and driving, this is a new mixdown of "Rule Britannia" with some drums and cymbals added. Also I changed some of the general settings concerning the single instruments.

http://www.royalentertainment.de/Songs/rule2.mp3

Hey, can I run GPO with more than 16 MIDI tracks? The counter stops at 16... Any chance?

Thanks for your comments!

Yours
    Ray
    Ray, I enjoyed this. I attended an outdoor Last Night of the Proms given by the Launceston Town Band while on holiday last week. They performed this very same piece (ofcourse!) It worked very well - as does your attempt.

Thanks for sharing

Regards Graham

PS, just seen your earlier post about orchestrating an hymn / anthem. You might care to take a quick listen to my recent attempt over on

http://www.myspace.com/grahamkeitch

If there is anything I can help you with here, let me know.

Go Back to forum