• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ambience plug-in in Sonar

Share/Bookmark

Ambience plug-in in Sonar

Does anyone know how I get the Ambience reverb effect that comes with GPO to show up in Sonar Home Studio 6? I tried doing a search for "Ambience" on these forums but it came up with over 100 results spread across 11 pages.

Re: Ambience plug-in in Sonar

I'm still running Sonar 4, so I can't be sure they haven't changed
    things, but if they haven't, you have to run a program called vstconfig.exe
    (also known as Cakewalk VST Adapter). You point it at the directory where
    the Ambience plugin is and it sets things up so that Sonar knows about it.

I don't remember if it came with Sonar, or if it was a separate download.
    Search for the file in your Cakewalk folder. If you don't have it, search
    online.

This little program is great for controlling how many and which plugins
    Sonar loads. Some people have hundreds and you don't want to always
    load all of them.
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Ah! I see it. It's now called Tools / Cakewalk Plugin Manager. And the reason I don't see Ambience is that it's not even on my system. I guess I have to download it from the Garritan site. I thought it came with GPO. Thanks!

Hi, diligamus

Actually, the Plugin Manager and the VST Adapter are two different tools. The first one shows you what you have loaded on your computer and visible to Cakewalk, and the Adapter is what you run every time you add something new and need Cakewalk to find it.

Your Ambience probably hasn't been copied into your Cakewalk VST folder. Go to the program folder with Garritan, find the .dll, copy it. Then run your VST Adapter so Cakewalk can find it.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Your Ambience probably hasn't been copied into your Cakewalk VST folder. Go to the program folder with Garritan, find the .dll, copy it. Then run your VST Adapter so Cakewalk can find it.
    I think the root of the problem was that it wasn't included on the Garritan disk. I looked for it but couldn't find it. In the end I downloaded it (free download) from the Garritan website. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet as I'm working on a different and unrelated problem with FTP (nothing to do with the subject matter of these boards!)

OK, diligamus - I guess Ambience stopped being included with GPO then. I had the 4 CD version of GPO, and Ambience was on a disc of extras, along with Cubase LE and Overture.

I'm glad you found a download for Ambience, now just do as was described in my earlier post, and you'll have it available in Cakewalk.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum