• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Sonata for clarinet and piano, complete

Share/Bookmark

Sonata for clarinet and piano, complete

Well, here it is, finally: the complete Sonate opus 35 for clarinet in Bb and piano.

6 movements, grouped into 3 parts (thus the three recording files)

PART I
    http://www.dosblanc.ca/music/clarine...t_sonata_1.mp3

1 - Preludium
    2 - Scherzo

Part II
    http://www.dosblanc.ca/music/clarine...t_sonata_2.mp3

3 - Nocturne
    4 - Tiento (March)

PART III
    http://www.dosblanc.ca/music/clarine...t_sonata_3.mp3

5 - Arioso
    6 - Ronde

It is a cyclical work, based entirely on the two themes of the opening Preludium. Normally, the six movements should be entirely played without pause, but this just made for a much too large recording file.

The recording is, as usual, made in Finale 2006, using GPO grand piano and clarinet solo.

The premiere is planned for the fall.

Re: Sonata for clarinet and piano, complete

I loved this - absolutely fantastic. The sense of unity across the whole thing is what I'm after in a piece I'm writing right now - you've just made it sound so effortless. Thanks so much for sharing this.

Music to dive into, swim in, take mouthfuls in to taste.

Congratulations on the upcoming premiere, qccowboy. The audience is in for the kind of event that can remind them of why we have ears.

Thank you from the bottom of my music loving heart.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

thank-you both, Pingu and Randy.

I'm very happy you enjoyed it. I feel this is one of my strongest works yet. I suffered a great deal for the finale, but it eventually came out. I think I might have lost a few internal organs when it do though...

I'm quite excited about our next project - music for 2 pianos and percussion. Ah, at last I get to put both GPO and JaBB to good use.

Who knows, maybe the Marching Band library will come out before I get really into that project and it should contain some interesting additions to the percussion line-up.

Just for fun I tried switching the clarinet from GPO for a saxophone from JaBB... it was... ummm.... interesting. In all honesty, the flugelhorn was nicer! But it DID give me a bit of a kick to consider writing for saxes. Maybe "Sax and Violins on TV"?

Excellent writing! I enjoyed this. I think that you may have "converted" me.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    Excellent writing! I enjoyed this. I think that you may have "converted" me.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry, I think that your comment may just mean the most to me.

considering our past, and some of the tension that was present there.

I was really true to myself in this piece, and I'm glad that it was still able to communicate something to you.

Sadly, now I need to convert some of my more ardent critics at the other end of the "modernism" spectrum. I think I may have a rough road ahead of me.

Hi Michael,
    I think I can do better responding to each part seperately-even though I've only heard the first.
    On first listening I don't think back to a seperation at the Scherzo. What I liked the most was the ex†ended build u; in the Scherzo. As you think it's going to ber over, it keeps going. This movement covers the clarinet pret†y well.
    Gary
    I will listen to the next movement after
    a resting period....
    Gary

Great music! Just finished listening to it and going back to listen to it one more time...

Hi Michel,

you already know how I feel about this work.

I just wanted to tell you that my wife caught hearing glimsis of the work and she thought it was a live recording! Which goes great for you, and GPO!

Other than that, this is the kind of music that I enjoy listening to, most of the time (apart from my music that is )

Nikolas

Michel,

First, may I say this is not my usual listening. I don't really have an understanding of how one starts such a work. Putting that to one side, I think this is outstanding and would not be out of place in any shop selling Classical CD's. You can't worry about critics, you must only enjoy the praise from anyone giving it following listening to your achievements.

My Best

Ray

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast