• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: DESFINADO a fake book special

Share/Bookmark

DESFINADO a fake book special

Here is an example for those unfamiliar with the technology
    A FAKE BOOK special for which I take no credit for other than setting up the Garritan samples for the appropriate instruments. It's easy but it ain't satisfying.

Ray

DESFINADO

Re: DESFINADO a fake book special

Welcome back, Ray

Sounds great! You can now join the ranks of the highly acclaimed musicians online who are genius JABBsters! hehe.

Very cool demo of how much Garritan instruments can make a generic MIDI file sound pretty darned good.

Look forward to hearing more of your own home-grown great stuff.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Really nice, Ray. One of my all time favorites and you certainly did it justice. Really liked the mix. This is the first one of your tunes I've heard. Give us some more, please.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Jaybee, I'm not sure you understood what Ray was doing with this post?

He made a very nice sounding mix with the good Garritan instruments, but he didn't play any of it. It's a MIDI file he found online and then just plugged the right instruments in, did some tweaks in his mixer--Probably an hour's job I would guess?

That's why he said "It's easy but not satisfying."

So it's great to hear generic MIDI files sounding better than usual, but obviously we shouldn't be mis-lead by their use, and a musician shouldn't take credit for things he didn't do--That was Ray's point, I do believe.

Pardon me if you got the gist of that already, Jaybee, but I thought perhaps you misunderstood since you referred to this as one of Ray's tunes.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Is there some kind of surround on this? It sounds like the instruments are behind me. Could be soundclick though I guess.

-Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Randy - Yes, I was aware of what Ray was doing with the Midi file. I guess I used the wrong word in my description.

It's still nice work and nicely tweaked and mixed.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Oh! Ok, Jaybee--I thought you thought it was a "from scratch" project, and that would've been missing the point of what Ray was doing. Cool.

Chris, the surroundish sound I think is from Ray's hip new Altiverb.

HEY--where IS Ray? Sitting back and watching for the reaction I imagine.

Fun post, Scottish pal.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi Ray,
    It sounds good to me. I've been puttijng together some songs like this to use as play alongs on my Tenor. I also added a Trumpet part with both accompaniment part and occasional solo. It breaks the monotony of one instrument. I haven't had any success entering a drum set.
    This song is very much like a maze. It sounds like it's about to end and †hen deverts.
    Gary

Cool what you have done, Ray! Gary`s librarys are always great!

This midifiles reminds me of the playbacks from yamaha-, Kork and all the other keyboards...., smile. I am missing every feeling in such midifiles... .

My best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hi, folks,

I think Randy has just about answered all the relevant questions posed by this piece.
    Just so there is no doubt about it I repeat again all I did here was use Garritan samples on someone else’s midi file.
    Then I mastered the recording in Cubase 4 using Atliverb on everything but the double bass which is dry but has a 64 on cc12 setting and a little vintage compression. Also a brickwall high pass filter at 59Hz just to remove some boominess. The Altiverb setting was a front of stage wide stereo positioning just to open the sound up a little.

I have not and do not use this type of style backing for anything I write. I prefer to build the chords myself when arranging. The purpose of this demo was simply my amazement at how good a midi file can sound with a little work and a very good sample library.

Three cheers for Garritan.

Ray

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast