• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: moonbeams on the hollybush( classical)

Share/Bookmark

moonbeams on the hollybush( classical)

This song uses GPO strings, french horn, trumpet, marimba and bells. It is a classical kind of piece. Please listen and comment.
    Thanks -Jay
    www.katejesse.com/moonbeams.mp3

Re: moonbeams on the hollybush( classical)

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01
    This song uses GPO strings, french horn, trumpet, marimba and bells. It is a classical kind of piece. Please listen and comment.
    Thanks -Jay
    www.katejesse.com/moonbeams.mp3
    Wow! There's a lot going on there, Mr. Jay. That's great! Your counterpoint is very well done. It delights my counterpoint-loving soul.

Well done!

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Jay,

Nice work here, although I hear a more mischievous movement in dark corners rather than moonbeams while listening to this piece. Good arranging and recording except maybe the cello could come up in the mix a bit.

My Best

Ray

Larry, thanks for listening. I have always been a fan of counterpoint also. Hopefully I did not get to carried away with it on this piece.

Ray, mischevious is the perfect word for this song. I did have a hard time getting the cello at the right volume level thoughout. Its functionality was different in certain places of the song, and I varied the volume in those places.

Thank you both for your good words and comments.
    -Jay

I love songs like this where parts of a song diverge for just a moment like forking rivers or braids in a rope and then miraculously come back together again. The main melody gives me that feeling, as does the counterpoint. Wish I could write like this.

The performance didn't sound as live as it could be, marimbas playing from inside my head, etc. but... who cares anyway? hehe

-Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Chris, I am glad that you liked my song. I was trying to build from simple to complex in this. There definately is room for improvement on the 'live sound' effect. Thanks for listening and your suggestion.
    -Jay

Hi, jaynkate01

I love this! Really fun composition, with some really well done arranging, and the recording is sound good also.

My ears did get a bit "Pizzed out"--wanting that to take a rest now and then, and it could also be that the plucks were consistently louder than the rest of the orchestra. Purely a personal reaction thing.

Good going, Jay--And it sounds like you must have had a great time working on this.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Randy, I did have fun writing this piece. I was trying out different things that I have not done before. Sorry that I 'pizzed you off' (lol). I think you are right though, the pizzicato is unrelenting. Anyway, I am glad that you listened and commented.
    -Jay

Hello again, Jay

hehe--your "Pizz" joke.

Well, I'm glad you took my comment well. I did enjoy your composition very much, I was just wanting a bit more variety which would have involved less Pizz.

Doing any more work on this, or have you moved on to the next project?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I have decided to let this die a slow death and move on to something else. I always appreciate your input.
    -Jay

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast