• Register
  • Help

Topic: Optimal Mac Hardware for Sib 5 and GPO?

Share/Bookmark

Optimal Mac Hardware for Sib 5 and GPO?

I'm writing an opera. I'm almost done with the libretto. I've been writing/sketching the arias, duets, etc. as I've come to them and will soon be ready to orchestrate them in Sibelius.

I did orchestrate the first aria back in 2004. I loved working with Sibelius. The only problem I had was that playback froze when it came to strings playing tremolo. So I'm a little concerned about playback speed.

I read that Sibelius on an Intel Mac using Rosetta isn't very fast. My first question is whether Sib 5 with Universal Binary is fast enough to handle playback of a full orchestra, chorus and vocal soloists.

If so, what would you folks recommend I buy in an Intel Mac package to replace the G4 I bought in 2000? Is 2 gigs of RAM enough? Separate drive for audio? What size monitor? Any special video/audio cards?

I used to use Digital Performer with GigaStudio before I devoted myself to researching my opera subject and writing the libretto. Perhaps with the advances in Sibelius/GPO the past few years, I won't have to use these other programs to create decent audio files of my music. Either way, what would you recommend as far as the size of the hard drive?

I truly appreciate your suggestions.

Re: Optimal Mac Hardware for Sib 5 and GPO?

John,

I can't give you specifics on harware, but can suggest a few ideas. One is that as a Universal Binary,Sib 5 will run much, much faster than under Rosetta. Two, when you have a lot of instruments going in the score, you can often drop a few out (not in live performance, of course) to reduce the load on the CPU - especially there are doublings, you won't even know they are gone. Three, Sib 5 will allow your computer to record at a speed that it can handle; before, it was doen in real time, so if your computer couldn't handle the playback, it couldn't record it. Now, if it takes your system a long time to process the score, it should record glitch free - at least that is what is being advertised. Sib 5 doesn't ship until the end of June, so it may be a little while before we know how all this shakes out. Why not download the demo, and see how it runs?

Hope this helps.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by John

If so, what would you folks recommend I buy in an Intel Mac package to replace the G4 I bought in 2000? Is 2 gigs of RAM enough? Separate drive for audio? What size monitor? Any special video/audio cards?

I used to use Digital Performer with GigaStudio before I devoted myself to researching my opera subject and writing the libretto. Perhaps with the advances in Sibelius/GPO the past few years, I won't have to use these other programs to create decent audio files of my music. Either way, what would you recommend as far as the size of the hard drive?

I truly appreciate your suggestions.
    I've got a Mac Pro (2 dual-core) 3GHz and 9GB of RAM. I don't think you'll need more than 2 or possibly 4GB, but I can't really tell you for sure yet, because the final version of Sibelius 5 has not been released yet. They are talking June 27th. After that, I should be able to tell you how it does on an entire symphony orchestra. As for hard drives, I have a few 750GB drives but they are not RAIDed. The system is still pretty fast, though hardware RAIDing would make it even faster. Unless you play games, I would think the standard video card would work for you. It sure is nice working with a 30" monitor if you can swing the price. As far as Audio, I have a USB-2 based Edirol UA-101 that suits my needs to a T. You may have other requirements. Sibelius 5 is Univeral Binary, so you will get native performance with a Macintel box.

Hope that helps a little.

Keith Walls

Thanks, Ron. I'm encouraged. I never worked with audio files in Sib 3. That's a great idea to enable accurate recording even if playback can't be accomplished.

Good idea re trying the demo, but I'm still stuck with OS 9.

And thanks, Keith. Also encouraging. I would be interested in hearing about your experience with Sib 5 and a full orchestral score.

Nice to have a forum with such helpful people.

Go Back to forum